_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
What does this eror message mean?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 10:31 AM UTC
Error connecting to dbkitmaker_maindb
Program: /home/kitmaker/public_html/mainfile2.php - Line N.: 61
Database: kitmaker_maindb
Error (1040) :

It results in a failure to load the Armorama::Armor/AFV-forum (I have that forum bookmarked)
/ Robin
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC
Error 1040 usually means too many connections are being attempted on the database and it can't handle the workload. You can wait and see if some of the connections close and allow access, or the admin will have to go into settings and increase the max_connections parameter to 200 or higher. The old default was 100, but newer versions default at 151.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Error (1040) :

It results in a failure to load the Armorama::Armor/AFV-forum (I have that forum bookmarked)
/ Robin

Over the last year or so, I’ve got this message quite a few times, usually between 0500 to 0900 PST (earlier in the morning on the west coast of the USA). I had it this AM for an hour or so. Since January, it’s been better, but last year I was getting this message at least 2-3 times a month. I always assumed the site was down for maintenance or something. Interesting that an administrator is also getting it.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Error (1040) :

/ Robin

Over the last year or so, I’ve got this message quite a few times, usually between 0500 to 0900 PST (earlier in the morning on the west coast of the USA). I had it this AM for an hour or so. Since January, it’s been better, but last year I was getting this message at least 2-3 times a month. I always assumed the site was down for maintenance or something. Interesting that an administrator is also getting it.
VR, Russ

Yeah, Russ is right but I've seen it as early as 0300 PST up here. Since I'm up all night I see things up and down more often. I'll go to https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ and check to see if the site is up. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't but it usually pops back up before 9 am.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... I always assumed the site was down for maintenance or something. Interesting that an administrator is also getting it.
VR, Russ

Hi Russ,
I am not an administrator in that sense. I have zero influence over the inner workings of the website.
I have only been given the tools I need as hitman which coincidentally also gives me the ability to edit posts and threads. If you ever wonder why a typo disappeared behind your back, well, it could be me ...
/ 48
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
The gallery is a weak area of the network but I just checked it and went straight in.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

..... I always assumed the site was down for maintenance or something. Interesting that an administrator is also getting it.
VR, Russ

Hi Russ,
I am not an administrator in that sense. I have zero influence over the inner workings of the website.
I have only been given the tools I need as hitman which coincidentally also gives me the ability to edit posts and threads. If you ever wonder why a typo disappeared behind your back, well, it could be me ...
/ 48

I’ve wondered about that! I’m a lousy typist, always have been. I frequently type on the “small screen” and my fat fingers frequently hit the wrong keys. I try and go back to correct things, but it’s nice to know you’re watching to make sure my English is correctly spelled. How ironic, I have a Swedish proofreader!
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

Hi Russ,
/ 48

I’ve wondered about that! I’m a lousy typist, always have been. I frequently type on the “small screen” and my fat fingers frequently hit the wrong keys. I try and go back to correct things, but it’s nice to know you’re watching to make sure my English is correctly spelled. How ironic, I have a Swedish proofreader!
VR, Russ

I learned to type in H.S. but had to learn to type the Army way. That means dropping vowels and typing meaningless gibberish. I.E. hr tgt sndg trsh wll mnitr. Translation: here target sending trash will monitor.

You shoulda seen my auto correct, it was having a nervous breakdown. We used to intercept and type so fast that in the days of teletypes we could stop typing but the buffer would still hammer out copy for 30 seconds. We were much happier when we went to PC based equipment.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 01:11 PM UTC
There is a shortcut that can be cut'n'paste into the SQL code to have it allow 500 connections, which should be more than enough. You can make that number smaller if you like. It does impact power consumption on the servers though, I believe. It can usually be found in the same search to find 'error 1040', as hotfixes also show up. This is just speculation; I was a Windows desktop support guy a while back but that was a fix back then.

With more people able to browse the site due to the current situation, the database is getting getting hit by a higher number of queries and some of you are being forced to wait in line until some connections close, freeing them up.

If I had to guess. I also guess, unfortunately, that while having the site available while stuck at home is nice it also isn't the biggest priority for the admin at this moment, so maybe hit 'F5' after a few seconds or go to another site first and come back later. Have more coffee. Put something in it. Maybe lots. Unless the system breaks and everything turns black, the site should be here...unless you get this:
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 01:43 PM UTC
We've been seeing this error for at least a year. Long before this current situation. It always seemed to strike between 3 am PST but would be back up by 9am PST. I don't think number of users was the issue unless all of europe was logging on.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 02:23 PM UTC
Gotta agree with Patrick here, This problem has been around for more like 2-3 years off and on, always in the early mornings (for us anyway). But I do exactly what Shell recommends, go away a couple of hours, and it’s usually (not always though— sometimes it’s been much longer) gone when I get back.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 03:13 PM UTC
How long ago did Kitmaker switch server/service providers?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Error 1040 usually means too many connections are being attempted on the database and it can't handle the workload. You can wait and see if some of the connections close and allow access, or the admin will have to go into settings and increase the max_connections parameter to 200 or higher. The old default was 100, but newer versions default at 151.

Good advice. I have bumped it to 250 for now. MySQL is already the Achilles heal on the server in terms of load so we will have to see if this helps or somewhat hurts overall performance. It's always a balancing act with these things.

And to the last question, we have been with the same provider for 16+ years. This server however is about 4-5 years old at this point I believe. Migrating it however is going to be a pain as many of the systems this code was written around are aging and newer ones will likely flat out refuse to work with some of the code functions/calls. I could be a very busy beaver in the near terms trying to get this all moved again. But it's got to be done as eventually our hosting company will phase out these older machines.

Cheers,
Jim
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good advice. I have bumped it to 250 for now. MySQL is already the Achilles heal on the server in terms of load so we will have to see if this helps or somewhat hurts overall performance. It's always a balancing act with these things.

And to the last question, we have been with the same provider for 16+ years. This server however is about 4-5 years old at this point I believe. Migrating it however is going to be a pain as many of the systems this code was written around are aging and newer ones will likely flat out refuse to work with some of the code functions/calls. I could be a very busy beaver in the near terms trying to get this all moved again. But it's got to be done as eventually our hosting company will phase out these older machines.

Cheers,
Jim

I honestly don't understand how a hosting company upgrading hardware would give a workload to it's clients. In my experience, moving from one server to the next is fairly transparent to users.

_GOTOTOP