_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
COVID-19
Propster
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 02:04 PM UTC
Hi all

Just thought I would check in and see how everyone is going around the world, considering that some of you are probably locked down tight.

Down here we are still working and kids are at school but concerts and events are cancelled sport is being played in empty stadiums.

Are you taking your forced isolation to get through some of those kits you never quite finished?

Hope you and your familys are all well (and have enough toilet paper!).

Cheers

Stephen
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 02:15 PM UTC
All clear in Western Mountains of North Carolina,although no cases yet,state and county have declared emergency.No panic in the stores yet,still able to get most items.Expect that to change once cases begin to pop up.

Being cautious and ready to self quarantine with my sizable stash.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All clear in Western Mountains of North Carolina,although no cases yet,state and county have declared emergency.No panic in the stores yet,still able to get most items.Expect that to change once cases begin to pop up.

Being cautious and ready to self quarantine with my sizable stash.

Cannot say the flat landers in the piedmont section have behaved the same. Might start on a new kit for another club build.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 03:59 PM UTC
Still working here, I'm on the road a lot of the time in sales, and finding a lot of clients reluctant to commit to face-to-face office meetings. Phone calls and emails are the order of the day! On-site walkarounds surveying boiler and cooling tower systems are still rolling along.
Office staff are alternating days working from home and maintaining closed doors and social distance policies when in the office.

Cheers, D
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Still working here, I'm on the road a lot of the time in sales, and finding a lot of clients reluctant to commit to face-to-face office meetings. Phone calls and emails are the order of the day! On-site walkarounds surveying boiler and cooling tower systems are still rolling along.
Office staff are alternating days working from home and maintaining closed doors and social distance policies when in the office.

Cheers, D

bloody Hell Damian, you guys in Victoria have had it rough, fires, floods and pestilence (coronavirus), almost like some kind of biblical apocalypse. i was in Sydney earlier this year as my wife and i were on our honeymoon.

life here in scotland, in the forth valley is reasonably safe with only 10 people listed at the current time as having the virus but panic buying is an issue. long life milk, pasta and some tinned items are in short supply. don't bother asking for hand sanitizer has no one has any.

oh and i made my first ever meme today which sums up my feelings when we went to do our usual food shop at the weekend.

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 1,383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 12:15 AM UTC
Schools, restaurants, and bars closed in Kentucky. Talked on the phone with my son this morning March 17, 2020. He is in Cincinnati, Ohio and they were scheduled as of yesterday to have a primary election. My son was going out to check and so far he said the building was closed, so primary must be postponed after all for the Corona virus. Normal election hours were 6:30 am to 7:30 pm. Last minute action by Ohio Governor Mike DeWine is very confusing for folks there. Anyway my son was headed into Kroger grocery market for some milk. Wonder what's let after the rush on stores? I am going back down to my workshop...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 01:47 AM UTC
A cowboy shares some tips on how to handle a shortage of TP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9LT6RAnJVQ
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
Cheap scotch and some hand balm/grease afterwards works as hand sanitiser.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 02:39 AM UTC
I am now isolated due to lifetime medical conditions, I have not got cabin fever yet.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am now isolated due to lifetime medical conditions, I have not got cabin fever yet.

I hope there is enough in the stash to keep you busy
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure if this actually works as most lower brand alcohol is at 40% proof. where as most hand sanitizers start at 60% which is the minimum level required to kill the virus.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not sure if this actually works as most lower brand alcohol is at 40% proof. where as most hand sanitizers start at 60% which is the minimum level required to kill the virus.

All that hand sanitizer is said to be unneccessary,a thorough washing with good old fashioned soap is just as effective.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All that hand sanitizer is said to be unneccessary,a thorough washing with good old fashioned soap is just as effective.

Absolutely! Soap destroys virus and bacteria mechanically on the molecular level. Here in Sweden they are trying to teach us to wash our hands for a least 30 seconds with soap.

We also have denatured alcohol (95% ethanol with some methanol, red colouring and a repulsive taste added). Just make sure to add some "grease" or oils to you skin afterwards and DO NOT let your fingers touch your lips afterwards, the taste is HORRIBLE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 03:49 AM UTC
It’s getting rather serious here in Washington. All schools, restaurants, movie theaters, museums and other public spaces are closed. Gatherings of more than 50 are prohibited, and the Governor has asked folks to “social distance” in public, or just stay home and hunker down. The rule is, if you don’t need to go out for necessities or work, don’t go out at all. About the only thing open are grocery stores and pharmacies, and hospitals. Infected totals and the number of dead are increasing— not rapidly, but steadily. The last six folks that died had no connection to the nursing home that has produced over 19 dead earlier, infection rate for the state has jumped to 904 almost overnight. Hospitals are stressing, and there are shortages in medical supplies already. And to top that off there are lots of idiots panic buying. So, it’s wise to hunker down. Thank goodness I have a hobby that lets me do that, although I’ve been breaking out the old textbooks and spending time reading about the great “Spanish Flu” epidemic of 1918. There are a lot of parallels with what’s going on now. Let’s hope we’ve learned something in the intervening 102 years. Best wishes to all.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
My neighbor came over and gave me a box of pistol ammo. He works at a sporting section in a major store (most people can guess which one) and he says everyone is panic buying ammo and shotguns. Most of his customers have never held a firearm before. That's scary. Panic buying of toilet paper and guns. Maybe someone found out a way to wipe their asuuuuhh butt with a 12 gauge.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
The scary part in the US is that if it gets bad they use it on themselves to end the suffering.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The scary part in the US is that if it gets bad they use it on themselves to end the suffering.

and then some poor sod has to clean up afterwards ....
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 05:34 AM UTC
That would be my crew, though I hope it doesn't get to that point. Everything here is closed, kids home from school and everyone panic buying whatever they can think of. Not just toilet paper but any paper product because the TP is all gone. We have given instructions to handle calls by phone if possible (details only) or online. I have spent the last two months trying to build up emergency response capability for disasters. The official response has always been that nothing bad happens. Now that has changed and my proposals may get some traction.

With allergies and a prescription that gives me a dry cough, I am just keeping away from people so I don't panic them.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 05:51 AM UTC
I'm sure in the not too distant future, say next week, someone will come up with a first person shooter game where the goal is to gather toilet paper by shooting hoaders in Wal-Mart. Toilet paper will be the new currency and the softer it is the more it is worth.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would be my crew, though I hope it doesn't get to that point. Everything here is closed, kids home from school and everyone panic buying whatever they can think of. Not just toilet paper but any paper product because the TP is all gone. We have given instructions to handle calls by phone if possible (details only) or online. I have spent the last two months trying to build up emergency response capability for disasters. The official response has always been that nothing bad happens. Now that has changed and my proposals may get some traction.

With allergies and a prescription that gives me a dry cough, I am just keeping away from people so I don't panic them.

Russ, Bless you for the work you do, and continue to due in these difficult times. I read a report yesterday the Police in Newport Beach Oregon are pleading with folks to stop calling 911 because they are out of TP, or they can’t find it in the store. The NB Police offered several suggestions from ancient history, one was to use salt water and a sea shell (ouch). This is the problem with idiots, they clog up the system with ridiculous requests, hoarding, and stupidity. They kill others by not taking medical advice, then clogging the emergency rooms (we’ve already had a healthy 40 year old ER Doc in critical condition from contracting the virus up here). They don’t follow medical advice to distance or isolate. I saw a good comment today — “the pandemic is spreading a disease and stupidity equally”. So take care, and thanks for all you do.
We’ll get through this if folks are responsible, and really care about others. Our actions will define our character during this time.
VR, Russ
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russ, Bless you for the work you do, and continue to due in these difficult times. I read a report yesterday the Police in Newport Beach Oregon are pleading with folks to stop calling 911 because they are out of TP, or they can’t find it in the store. The NB Police offered several suggestions from ancient history, one was to use salt water and a sea shell (ouch). This is the problem with idiots, they clog up the system with ridiculous requests, hoarding, and stupidity. They kill others by not taking medical advice, then clogging the emergency rooms (we’ve already had a healthy 40 year old ER Doc in critical condition from contracting the virus up here). They don’t follow medical advice to distance or isolate. I saw a good comment today — “the pandemic is spreading a disease and stupidity equally”. So take care, and thanks for all you do.
We’ll get through this if folks are responsible, and really care about others. Our actions will define our character during this time.
VR, Russ

I agree about the stupidity part. my wife was at the health centre to get some blood test results for her existing medical condition and the receptionist said they have had calls from people asking if it was safe to eat Chinese take aways or drink corona beer!

on a more serious note, one of our day shift drivers has told our manager that he has a temperature and flu like symptoms... raise shields and sound the collision alarm!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 07:03 AM UTC
I wonder if we should give thought to this being the planet getting its own back on us.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 07:19 AM UTC
You would think that the internet would leave people more informed and educated, in fact I think that was the original intention, but all it does is show how stupid people really are. People are hoarding t.p. because it was going around Facebook that t.p. is imported from China. But the U.S. makes it's own but because story came from Facebook and the internet it must be true. Why? Because everyone knows that everything on the internet is true. An IQ test should be required before you are allowed on the internet. Better yet you should need a license to use the 'net just like you do to drive a car.

It would limit idiocy but not completely because some stupid kid would still eat a Tide detergent pod because they saw it on YouTube.

I'll get off my soapbox and go sit on my throne made of my hoarded a..wipe.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Better yet you should need a license to use the 'net just like you do to drive a car.

Oh I don't know. Still stupid people with a license driving on the road...

Cheers

Oh Happy St. Patty's Day. I guess I will open Google to a random search on my computer so I won't be drinking my Guinness alone.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if we should give thought to this being the planet getting its own back on us.

Darren,
I’ve often given that a thought myself. I’ve been re-reading “The Great Epidemic”, which is a first person compilation of records and stories of the Great Flu Epidemic of 1918-19. It’s truly amazing about what people thought was going on, and the social and medical response (or lack thereof, which perpetuated it around the world). The book starts with an introduction of several great pandemics, each more severe than the last. Man has managed to quell many diseases, but there’s always another that raises in the wake of the last, usually about 100 years apart (were we due for this one?). We seem to be continuously defending for nature’s last war upon us, and not being prepared for the next. One of the premises of the book is pandemics raise their ugly head every 100 years or so (in this case it’s been 102 years). The difference is, we now have the knowledge and tools to fight it, if only we pay attention to the science, but yes, it does seem that nature is forever mutating to destroy us. Or at least reduce us. By the way, the book was written in 1960, so 60 years ago, the author was thinking about this same question.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP