History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
F.D.R. dies on this date in history
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:10 AM UTC
I just noticed over on The History Channel's website that this is the day that F.D.R. died in 1945. I think that Americans of my Father's and Grandmother's generation had the same feelings for F.D.R. that many British people had about Churchill, that as long as he was around they knew we'd win. My Father always said my Grandmother never really worried about my Dad being hurt overseas, until F.D.R. died. To her that meant that ANYBODY could die, and then she started really worrying. Say what you will about him, F.D.R. was vitally important to the conduct of WWII, even if only from a moral standpoint.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just noticed over on The History Channel's website that this is the day that F.D.R. died in 1945. I think that Americans of my Father's and Grandmother's generation had the same feelings for F.D.R. that many British people had about Churchill, that as long as he was around they knew we'd win. My Father always said my Grandmother never really worried about my Dad being hurt overseas, until F.D.R. died. To her that meant that ANYBODY could die, and then she started really worrying. Say what you will about him, F.D.R. was vitally important to the conduct of WWII, even if only from a moral standpoint.

FDR helped America through its trying times from the Great Depression and through the Second World War, no matter what some people, then and now, might think of him. You got to give him credit for that still.

I sometimes would imagine what would it be like had he lived long enough to see the end of the war.

Could he order the a-bomb dropped in Japan (as Truman did)? Does he have the will and gumption to do it? Or would he have settled for a conventional approach and invade Japan the "hard way."

Would he fire MacArthur during the Korean War?

What would be his attitude towards the Stalin and the Soviet Union following the fall of the Axis powers?

He and Churchill would have made a good team taking on the communist bloc then.