_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
pe
bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 11:40 AM UTC
hi guys,what do as prepwork for pe parts.should I wash them with acetone or not.this is some pe parts for my as-90.any help will be great . thanks guys.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 01:04 PM UTC
unless mounted "old school" on a rubber back, I don't see why you would need to use acetone.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 04:14 AM UTC
PE often has a plasticized chemical residue left on it from the etching process. The residue is similar to a light clear coat, and can sometimes interfere with CA adhesion. Acetone, lacquer thinner, or a light sanding will remove it. You can also remove it by annealing the PE over a low flame, which has the added benefit of making PE easier to bend. However, use caution, as too much heat can melt or deform the metal part. I always clean my PE parts with lacquer thinner after annealing if I use a candle flame to anneal, as it produces soot. More often, I use a Bernz-O-Matic torch to anneal with, but I’m very careful to keep the flame on low, and just pass the PE quickly through the flame. But you don’t want to do this with really tiny PE parts.
VR, Russ
bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 10:44 AM UTC
Jsmith,and Russ.thanjs for your replys.the reason I ask about is I never used pe beforeand I wantedto do it right the first time.some of my newer kits kits have p e and I have only one hand to work with so better get it right the first time, anywany thanks for the help guys .
 _GOTOTOP