_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Table Saw Recommendation Wanted
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 08:59 PM UTC
trying to decide which miniature table saw to buy. any suggestions welcomed; thanks.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 10:31 PM UTC
How miniature do you want it? For model work, I suggest the table top shop machines by Ryobi. Available at Home Depot or Lowes. They are small but powerful and can take many grades of blades, bits, and paper.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 12:23 AM UTC
By 'miniature' do you mean something Proxxon-size or something more like a full-size contractor's saw?

My Dewalt contractor saw is a great saw, but turning out to be too small for some of the things I want to do (not modeling-related). Looking to upgrade to a Powermatic hybrid saw.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

trying to decide which miniature table saw to buy. any suggestions welcomed; thanks.

My second hobby is woodworking. So the real question here is what you intend to do with “a miniature table saw”, not “what brand to buy“. What you intend it for will answer the question about what brand, type and style. I’ve known plenty of folks who bought miniature tools, who were then disappointed in performance when the miniature tool wouldn’t cut through a 1” chunk of hardwood. Or, when the blade melted plastic sheet because it was a constant speed blade at 10000 RPM. So it depends on what you intend it for which will drive you towards a brand or type. Sometimes a full size saw will give you better results than a miniature and be applicable to more uses.
VR, Russ
mikedavid
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 12:40 PM UTC
We have 2 Byrnes saws that have been working well in a college shop. Check them out here...

https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2020 - 01:57 PM UTC
thanks Mike. I've decided to wait a bit and make the $$$ plunge rather than rush into a long-term purchase just because it's more moderately priced.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 - 02:30 AM UTC
I worked in a cabinet shop for 3 years, so if one wants to really get into wood cutting I suggest do as Russ suggested, get a contractor model, but cost like $700.00 or more, think of a Saw stop kind if you want to be really safe. Or a cheap Harbor freight one for cutting hobby wood. But for large heavy wood at least a 2 Hp. Just think can make your own cabinets to store all of the models. What I do. Good luck. Canada has a damn good one, the Powermatic.
ColinAlex
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 05:20 PM UTC
I picked up the Microlux tablesaw and a variety of blades from Micro Mark a few years ago for wooden ship modelling and am very impressed. The saw is very good. You will need to do a bit of work on the fence to get it working as well as a descent quality full size saw does but everything else has been great. It's worth saving for something you'll be happy with in the long run. Luck.
 _GOTOTOP