Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
For those who really hate mice.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 07:18 AM UTC
I have no clue how this came up as a recommended video on YouTube, all I was searching for was bronze cannons and this morning this showed up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yl1jxWPb-C0

Don't know if this would work on some of the rats I saw in Korea tho.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 08:17 AM UTC
He said it really isn't safe and is probably illegal, so I am sure lots of people will give it a try.

His channel is actually very useful as he tests a lot of products to show how well they work.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC
Setting fire to the barn would kill all the other rats as well ....

For some serious rat-shooting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSibdxpFYek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q09cJnH5NtQ
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 04:39 PM UTC
We had poultry when I was a kid. Ducks, geese and chickens. Lots and lots of chickens. There were certain times of the year when the rats got too much for the barn cats so I'd set up with a .22 CO2 rifle and hit the flood lights on the property. The rats would freeze and I could get a couple then I'd shut off the lights. 10 minutes later I'd turn them on again and bag a few more. A couple hours of this and I'd have 15-20 rats. When my best friend came down with his rifle we could rain mayhem on them. Now I live in city limits surrounded by farmland and dairy and beef farms so the rats come in during the winter. I set traps and lay poison under the house and I'll get several. Depends on the temperature. The colder it gets the more rats move under the house. But it was more fun plinking them with pellets.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 01:49 AM UTC
I grew up in town (house with yard and garage) so I didn't have fun shooting rats.
My dad grew up on small farm and one of his 3 older brothers worked at a foundry/factory together with my dads brother-in-law and those two got a steel pipe, welded one end shut with a small hole for a fuse and mounted the whole thing to a simplified stock and then they went rat hunting in the grain shed. Muzzle loader .50 cal or maybe larger, charged with worn out grammophone needles, steel wire cutoffs, small nails, small stones, whatever.
One brother aiming and one brother spotting and lighting the fuse. "There, there is one" "Where?" "Just to the left of that grain sack!", "Got it! Light the fuse", aiming, aiming, aiming-BAAAMMM!!!! and the rat was turned into a small rag and a one foot diameter red semicircle on the wall .....
Reload and wait for the next rat to venture into the kill zone ....

Later on he got a .22 (not air gun), the licence said 'Purpose: Extermination of pests'

/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 02:31 AM UTC
My friend had a .50 black powder rifle. I was home on leave and we were hanging out at his house and he got the rifle out so we could have some fun. After about an hour he was getting bored so he more than doubled the charge and got a bolt that barely fit into the barrel, cut the head off of it and rammed that down the barrel. I got behind him, by about a hundred feet, and he pulled the trigger. The bolt jammed in the barrel which split and he burned his face pretty bad. He lost his eyebrows, eyelashes, mustache and a good portion of his mullet. I had a pretty good laugh though.