_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
LF WW2 1/72 Italian aircraft insignia decals
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hello,

Looking for some decals to replace the old yellowed ones from a 1/72 Supermodel CANT Z1007.
Really just looking for the upper and lower roundels (fasces?) as I have numbers in my spares. I they're roughly about 22mm in diameter.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 04:56 AM UTC
Stephen,
I don’t have any I can help you with, but I do have a solution for getting the “yellow” out of old decals if you’re not in a big hurry. Place the decal in a clear waterproof bag, and tape it the inside of a window that gets sun for a couple of weeks or so. The UV rays will remove the yellowing. It may take longer for really yellowed decals, and you need to check the decals occasionally to make sure other colors like red or blue are not fading (this usually takes a long time— several months). I’ve saved lots of decals this way. My latest was a 1962 issue of Revell decals for their Atlas booster and launch pad. Within three weeks, the sun had removed over 50 years of yellowing! If you live in a climate like Arizona, you need to make sure the decals are not in direct contact with hot glass, but since you’re in the U.K., and I live in the US NW, I doubt you and I have that kind of problem, especially this time of year!
VR, Russ
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks. I have considered that trick, had some luck with it in the past.
Hopefully I can salvage the manufacturers logo for example. The underwing roundel (the black one) is printed off set though, very noticeable at the bottom edge. This is the one that's difficult to find a replacement for. Found a few decal sheets with the all white, the black is elusive!
I'll see how it goes when we start to get some sunlight here.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen,
I don’t have any I can help you with, but I do have a solution for getting the “yellow” out of old decals if you’re not in a big hurry. Place the decal in a clear waterproof bag, and tape it the inside of a window that gets sun for a couple of weeks or so. The UV rays will remove the yellowing. It may take longer for really yellowed decals, and you need to check the decals occasionally to make sure other colors like red or blue are not fading (this usually takes a long time— several months). I’ve saved lots of decals this way. My latest was a 1962 issue of Revell decals for their Atlas booster and launch pad. Within three weeks, the sun had removed over 50 years of yellowing! If you live in a climate like Arizona, you need to make sure the decals are not in direct contact with hot glass, but since you’re in the U.K., and I live in the US NW, I doubt you and I have that kind of problem, especially this time of year!
VR, Russ

Would direct UV light help in anyway? My partner has one of those UV lamp things for setting nail varnish and I'm thinking of sticking them under it. Had very little sun here at the moment.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 08:35 PM UTC
If you can find a set then there is these:

Or this ESCI set.

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC
Thanks Luciano. The Superscale sheet has turned up in my searches, unfortunately not been able to find a single sheet that's available for sale.
The underside black roundel is the one that's proving to be elusive. The upper white, no problem. Lots of those around.
Every photo I've been able to find of the CANT has that marking variant on the underside of the wings. I'm wondering if it was a night bomber variation? I'm not as up to speed on Italian markings as I'd like.
 _GOTOTOP