_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
Aircraft Canopy
X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 04:42 PM UTC
I know this is primarily a Armor site but I know a lot of you guys build other things. I broke my canopy for a F-86 Saber Dog Nose in 1/48 scale. I was hoping someone out there has one in their stash and would consider selling it. I looked all over and can't find one. Wrote to Revell but have not heard back. Any help appreciated.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 06:28 PM UTC
You may be able to buy an aftermarket Vac-Form canopy for that kit from Falcon, which specialized in aftermarket canopies. Squadron used to carry Falcon products, not sure if they still do. You may also be able to get someone to vac-form one for you—contact your local IPMS chapter, and ask around. If I had the parts here, I’d be glad to help you out. Most modelers try and help each other out in the IPMS chapters.you should also post this over on Aeroscale to hit the aircraft modelers.
VR, Russ
X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. Bob
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 01:08 PM UTC
I have a vacu-form machine. I've never tried to do a canopy before. I imagine you can't use the original part as the master as it would be slightly too large, unless of course it were to be displayed opened. Maybe use self hardening clay inside the original piece to make a master. I'd be willing to give it a try if you sent that to me.
X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 05:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the offer but it damaged beyond repair. It was not wide enough to fit and I tried to heat it and open it up a little but I over did it and melted the back of it. O-well, now you can see the work I did inside the cockpit. lol
 _GOTOTOP