_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Other interest than modeling
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 133 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 12:58 AM UTC
Just curious of what other modelers have interest in when we're not modeling? For me I have several (these are not in a particular order).
Hunting mainly Deer & Turkey
Running
Cooking
Sports (watching College Sports)
Umpiring Baseball (youth, High School)
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 01:08 AM UTC
In no particular order:
Woodworking
Stained Glass
Skiing
Hiking
Cooking
Growing my beer belly...

Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC
Fishing is my other main hobby. Still trying to work on archery and hunting.
Do spend time watching HS track as my son competes.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 407 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi Tony, my other interests are collecting ww2 memorabilia and going to the gun range. I have modern and ww2 firearms, my favorite one to shoot is a 1939 German Luger. I am also restoring a German K98 rifle that was cut down as sporting rifle by the vet who brought it home. Best regards........Dale
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
Good question !
Not too much time to do much. I provide Eldercare for my 90+ folks 3 or 4 days a week (sis covers the other days). On my off days I try and fit in 3hours at the bench and then get busy. Being an old fart I qualify for "Silver Sneakers" (free gym memberships) and do 2 aerobic classes and the in-between day it's weights. Meeting fellow retirees for an Ethnic lunch somewhere once a week. Milwaukee is blessed with Cuisines from around the world !
Winter is the blah season !! Sometimes I hike along the Milwaukee River, great trails right out my back door! When there's fresh snow it's real pretty!
Summer is the bomb ! 2 Biergartens along the river. One is Hofbrau Munich, the other features Hofbrau Freising (the oldest brewery in the world, 1066, & another Freising Bier, Weltenburger along with a couple of other brands. Both are within walking distance of home. And 4 micro breweries are also close by. So like Mark C. I too am working on my "Milwaukee Tumor" or beer belly.
I go camping 6-8 times from Spring to Fall all over Wisconsin & the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Mountain biking and beer drinking by an open fire, AWESOME!
Milwaukee is the "City of Festivals" and I hit most of them !
Summerfest is the World's Biggest Music Festival (that's how the city promotes it anyways). 12 days of music & food at $15 a day, quite the bargain! The other weekends are Ethnic Festivals. Those are great for trying odd foods & hearing World Music.
I also volunteer at WMSE, a college radio station, doing what ever's needed. Every now and then they let me do a show. Last was a 1969 - 50 years ago music. Got a lot of calls on that one !
When I retired I thought I'd be bored silly, WRONG !
Last thing is an annual roadtrip for 2 weeks. Last year was Costal Carolina. Got there just in time for Dorian. Spent a whole 2 days at Myrtle Beach before we had to evacuate ! Ashville & the Smokys were nice fall back option.

WOW! sorry to be so chatty !
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 - 05:48 AM UTC
Nice question, something different then modelling.

I'm reading books, mainly history. At this time I'm reading about Ancient Egypt and later I will be continuing reading about World War II. Much more subjects will probably follow.
I like to watch movies, Disney Plus, Blu-Ray and DVD.
And I like cycling, but don't do it to much other then going to work with it.

That be my mean hobby's other then modelling.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 - 06:23 AM UTC
I have been a collector of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror novels for over 40 years; I have over 2000 paperbacks going back to Armed Service Editions from WWII. Many of my books are out-of-print as well as being first editions. Lots of autographs, including Ray Bradbury's shortly before his death.

I do the same for SF, Fantasy, and Horror movies.

Huge music collection which I converted to digital, primarily punk and heavy metal. About a terabyte of the stuff from all over the world. I also did a radio show at Rollins College in Winter Park, FL, playing the same from 1995-1996.

Was a huge gamer in the 70s and 80s and own everything published for the Dungeons and Dragons game, up through 4th edition.

Also collect vintage VW material, especially as it pertains to the Type 2 (the microbus). Had a restored 1969 bus but it suffered an engine fire while my brother was driving it.

I build furniture for my home in my garage workshop.

I cook Indian, Mexican, and Chinese.

And as a 9/11 survivor I also spend my time fighting Truther Trolls online.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 - 05:14 AM UTC
Interesting to read what you are doing other then modelling.
Do you also use a bandsaw when you are making furniture?
On my work they have a bandsaw as well.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC
No bandsaw yet. Could use one but I need to clean out garage to free up more space first.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 - 06:39 AM UTC
I've been teaching martial arts/self defense classes at the YMCA for almost 40 yrs, reading and going to movies with the wife when we can squeeze it in.

Jesse
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC
I read several years ago in “Scale Modeler” there were a lot of musicians that were modelers—I’m not one of them as I can’t carry a tune in bucket. Some of what I am interested in:

I read a lot of history, primarily technical, military and space subjects, but also historical biographers, and a few fiction authors such as Clive Cussler and Dan Brown (probably because they delve into historical subjects).

When the weather permits, I do a lot of woodworking projects in my garage wood shop on my antique Shopsmith, including planing my own lumber.

My other warm weather hobby is gardening, landscaping and tending the yard.

And I write quite a few modeling articles for various on-line publications.

In my younger days, I used to hike a lot, and was an avid runner, but old age, and a long stint in the Army have taken the fun out of that for me.

VR, Russ
Striker
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - 08:15 PM UTC
If I'm not working on models I'm either:
reading (mostly historical stuff)
painting & playing miniature wargames
playing 5th edition D&D
paintball & airsoft
watching bad movies (bad as in good, not bad bad like Battlefield Earth)

I used to play a lot of computer games but they just sucked down too much time and money. Wargaming keeps me at the bench working on figures and terrain so I never really stop modelling.
 _GOTOTOP