_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
When you want to take a break from modelling
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 09:24 AM UTC
Getting tired of building models? Why don't you take a break and play a computer game of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iURoYf-9KGA

Authors deserve some serious a$$ whooping...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 10:33 AM UTC
Agree 100%. Jeez ....
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 11:56 AM UTC
Not sure what to say here...guess I’m just old fashioned and would rather waste my time building a 3D object than a 2D object that vanishes into the electron universe. I read a report the other day about maintaining cognition, in which model building was listed as a great activity for that. Wonder how “virtual” modeling compares. Certainly less messy! I wonder if there are virtual “paint spills“ or “carpet monsters”?

VR, Russ
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 12:07 PM UTC
Sorry, but I had to down-vote and leave comments for that one.

They should make a game that simulates playing a simulation. That might sell pretty well to that crowd.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if there are virtual “paint spills“ or “carpet monsters”?

VR, Russ

I'm wondering how they propose to give me the virtual Xacto stab wounds that I get from every session
TheBuilder
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 03:11 PM UTC
It's interesting, but I'd rather play Goat Simulator
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 05:18 PM UTC
Now to play devil's advocate. What if a person who never built a model before plays the game and takes an interest in the hobby, not in the virtual world but in the real world? Do we scoff and say "you only build models because of some game"? Or do we welcome a new plastic fanatic?

To make this game a bit more realistic they need to have putty to fill massive gaps and sink marks and as long as they don't render Dragon Black Labels kits I don't see anything wrong with it.

RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now to play devil's advocate. What if a person who never built a model before plays the game and takes an interest in the hobby, not in the virtual world but in the real world? Do we scoff and say "you only build models because of some game"? Or do we welcome a new plastic fanatic?

To make this game a bit more realistic they need to have putty to fill massive gaps and sink marks and as long as they don't render Dragon Black Labels kits I don't see anything wrong with it.

You forgot a simulation of Dragons DS-tracks ....
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 09:42 PM UTC
They should have a nostalgia build section, where it's an old Aurora kit on a 1960s kitchen table with tube glue.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure what to say here...guess I’m just old fashioned and would rather waste my time building a 3D object that a 2D object that vanishes into the electron universe. I read a report the other day about maintaining cognition, in which model building was listed as a great activity for that. Wonder how “virtual” modeling compares. Certainly less messy! I wonder if there are virtual “paint spills“ or “carpet monsters”?

VR, Russ

The a carpet monster is a computer virus.

Never less imagine the electronic stash one could have? No needing magnifying glasses, just zoom in to see details. Adjusting lighting with a few clicks.
The terabytes of kits one can have, no Misses complaining about the stash anyway, passing hard drives or cloud passwords around when we pass. Looking like a pretty good alternative. Oh and computer judges, no more homecooking or a plane guy judging armor, etc. Lots of pros me thinks.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So the file degrades overtime till you cannot open it anymore.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Now now I want to encourage new modellers, not have them run away screaming.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So the file degrades overtime till you cannot open it anymore.

Any saved screen images will degrade over time so that they suddenly turn into a cloud of coloured pixels which slowly settle when you view it ...
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 11:56 PM UTC
It looks interesting at first.
But, is it still interesting once you get it?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 - 12:50 AM UTC
If you really want to do modeling on a computer why not just use Blender or Sketchup? It's free software and you're actually building a whole new skillset.
 _GOTOTOP