Ak Interactive dust effects
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I have a bottle of AK Interactive dust effects and the color is a grey color. Is it suppose to be a grey color?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Angel
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 - 09:41 PM UTC
Apparently it is.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/dust-effects/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sy7KYztkOM
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hi Patrick,

The color that my bottle has is not like that. The color that I see in the web is like a buff color while mine is grey.

I will try to post a photo.

Thanks,
Angel
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 02:46 AM UTC
What is the product ID? AK-?
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 03:06 AM UTC
Patrick, I recently picked up a bottle of AK #4062 Light Dust Deposits and the best way I can describe it is a muddy buff color, although when dry it is a much lighter shade than in the bottle.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 133 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick, I recently picked up a bottle of AK #4062 Light Dust Deposits and the best way I can describe it is a muddy buff color, although when dry it is a much lighter shade than in the bottle.

^This^
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi Patrick the reference is AK015.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 06:20 AM UTC
After 40+ years and using enamels, lacquers and now acrylics I've found they have one thing in common. They look different dry then they did wet. I always test on a hidden part of the model before I paint. Make sure the colors dry to the shade I want.

In my AK catalog and in those two links I posted it shows AK015 to be a bit grey. While my catalog and this vid https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ZEkDcDnvQ
show AK4062 to be kinda muddy in color.

But remember not every monitor and screen are equal and colors don't look the same screen to screen. Best to test a bit one a hidden part of your model and look at it under natural light. And as I said above, colors will change as they dry and cure.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi,

Please find attached the photo.

The left one is dust effects, the middle one is light dust deposit and the right one is rainmarks for nato tanks.

Hope the image helps.

Kind regards,
Angel
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 10:33 PM UTC
Everything I've looked at online and in some magazines shows that AK015 is grey and it probably dries lighter then it looks when wet. But here's what I am wondering: Those washes are the same brand and should matte enamels, correct? So I'm wondering if you can mix the colors to change the shade or tone of the dust. Probably wouldn't take much to darken the grey if it's too light for you.

If it were me I'd experiment with mixing them. Just a tiny bit and one place I found that allows me to test washes is on the part sprues on the part number tabs with the raised numbers or letters. I'll give those a shot of my base colors, let it completely dry then give them a bit of a wash. The raised numbers give me an idea if that is the tone I'm going for to accent panels or raised features.

Here is a vid I found this evening showing the use of AK's Dust And Dirt Deposits AK-4060 set. Interesting but I cringed at about the 4:00 mark when I saw him use the washes right out of the bottle without shaking them and you can see the settled pigments around the top of the bottles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6oeQz9JTgI&feature=youtu.be

Good luck, and if you do experiment with mixing the colors post the results because I'm curious how that works.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2019 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi Scarred,

In my opinion rainmarks for nato tanks looks more like a dust effect than dust effects. Probably I will try on a scrap piece both colors separately to see how they look and then decide which one suits me better.

Have a nice weekend,
Angel
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2019 - 06:30 AM UTC
Post your results. I'm curious to hear how it went. I'm old school make my own washes and dust. Use ground up colored chalk for dust and make my own washes using enamels or oils. Saves a bit of coin.
 _GOTOTOP