_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Optivisors - question for users
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 11:41 PM UTC
I have a pair of DA-5 OptiVisor which Donegan claim to have a magnification of 2.5x - the diopter equation makes it x2.25 but U’m not going to quibble as it is what it is and it works for me. It is the best compromise of magnification and focal distance - any higher than the model becomes too close to work on comfortably .

But here is my problem, if I look down at the workbench it is a blur. If I lift the visor it is still a blur because my eyesight has decayed with age. To look at the workbench, I need 1.5x reading glasses (which from the equation I make as diopter = 2.

To put my glasses on every time I lift the visor is a bit of a faff, so I tried wearing the spectacles underneath the OptiVisor.

Now when I lift the visor it is perfect, but with the visor down there is a problem, the magnification has increased and the model needs to be held much closer to focus.

If my understanding of the maths, it is because I now effectively have 2 + 5 = 7 diopter - equivalent of an Optivisor DA-7.

I’m thinking that if I got a DA-3 plate then with the glasses and the visor it would be like having my DA-5. But I don’t entirely trust my logic. Ideally, I would go to a store and try different OptiVisors with my reading glasses but there is nowhere that I can do this.

Wondering whether anyone here has been through the same process.

Cheers,

Nigel
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 01:34 AM UTC
No idea but I would love t o see an answer as I have the same issue at times
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 06:19 AM UTC
I wear reading spectacles under the optivisor, when I flip up the front I look through the spectacles and get a suitable focus distance.
My optivisor has two magnifications, one fixed and another by a fold down lens inside the hood.
Reading spectacles (+2.0) together with the optivisor gives me what I need. I also have a set of other reading spectacles with higher values so for detail work I can switch to +4.0 if needed (where short focus range though ...)
/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 01:16 PM UTC
Sometimes I forget to put my reading glasses on or even my reading glasses and have my face about 6 inches from my work. It's been the cause of some humor in the past when I've super glued things to my face or ear. And I have two perfectly fine visors at hand.
 _GOTOTOP