_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
decals against decals
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 02:12 AM UTC
any concern setting a decal in direct contact with another?

specifically, I want to cut Uschi plywood decals into strips and "plank" a surface. time is not an issue, so letting one dry completely before adding another is not a concern. I would be using micro-sol & micro-set, and probably an acrylic varnish airbrushed after all is done.

will the process affect applied decals in a negative manner?

thanks
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 04:34 AM UTC
I do it all the time, as I make my own decals, and sometimes like to apply light colored decals over each other to get better depth of color, or multi-part decals for complicated designs. You shouldn't have any problem, as long as the decal beneath the one you apply is thouroughly dry and set. Where you might run into problems are with thick, poorly adhering decals (the older Academy offerings in particular are notorious), but that shouldn't be the case with Uschi I'd think. This technique also works better with Solvaset applied to the lower decal, but you should be OK with the Microscale decal solutions over Uschi decals.
VR, Russ
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 04:47 AM UTC
helpful & reinforcing; thanks.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 05:38 AM UTC
Just one other note-- you can always give the first decal a clear varnish before applying the second decal-- but if you use an acrylic varnish, be careful if you use Solvaset-- it may "frost" some Acrylic varnishes-- this "frost" effect usually goes away with subsequent applications of Solvaset, or if you top coat with Future/Pledge/Kleer. I've occasionally had this happen with Microscale products as well. It's best to do a little experimentation so you know how to deal with a problem if it comes up.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP