_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Gold Medal Models Pricing
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,925 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 12:45 AM UTC
Does anyone know why Gold Medal Models raised their prices so high? PE sets that used to cost $50 now are listing at $70, that is a 40% increase. I can't see paying such an increase on an old offering. Now if it was something new or a mark increase in detail maybe. Could they be just jumping on the bandwagon after seeing what other suppliers are now charging?

I like their PE but $70 dollars, I am going to have to shop around a lot more before I decide who to use.

Mark
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 12:53 AM UTC
from the GM website:

"INCREASE IN PRICES FOR LARGE SCALE SHIP DETAIL SETS.
For many years, we have maintained prices for our larger scale ship model detailing sets (1/200, 1/350, 1/400, and 1/500 scales) at very low levels compared to the costs of making them. This was done in order to attract new modelers to photo etched details for their projects. We intended to make our profits through higher volumes in sales.
Sadly, that plan no longer works. The popularity of these larger scale ship products is still relatively strong, but thanks to constantly increasing costs of metal and other factors, we have actually been losing money for the past two years. So in an effort to avoid being the latest in a growing line of hobby producers to go out of business, we're forced to raise the prices on these items. The smaller scale products are unaffected at this time and their prices will remain unchanged for now.
Our dedication to high quality is the same as it's ever been and we'll continue to provide first-rate service along with excellent products for serious ship modelers. We sincerely apologize for this development and hope you'll forgive us. With luck and God's blessing, we'll continue to be here to serve your needs for years to come. "

http://goldmm.com/new.htm
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,925 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 05:38 AM UTC
jsmith,

Thanks for the post, I missed reading their announcement. Still a 40% jump in pricing is a bit hard to take when most of the set consist of ladders, railings, doors, ect.. Items readly available at much lower prices. I really like their products but man those new prices are almost the cost of some kits.

Mark
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 06:49 AM UTC
not a "ship-per" myself, but I know in the model car world a $30 kit and $75 worth of resin & photo etch isn't out of the norm. then there's another $25 in paint . . .

but the hobby is still a better value than dope, liquor, & divorce!
 _GOTOTOP