_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Laquer spray question
Wad_ware
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi all
I have dumb question #6,785 and 1/2
If I go out to a hardware store such as Lowe's, Home Depot, etc... and buy a big can of flat laquer spray, is that the same stuff that Testors puts in thier little bitty cans of flat laquer spray

Thanks,
Wayne
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:36 AM UTC
Sort of. In the sense that Model Master, Tamiya, Liquitex and no-name craft store acrylics are all the same thing.

If you buy clear flat laquer from a hardware store, here's what you can be sure of, barring a disastrously bad-quality batch: it will be (relatively) clear; it will be relatively to very flat; laquer thinner will act as a solvent on it.

What you won't know without testing: how "hot" it is - i.e., whether it will eat acrylic paint, enamel paint, styere plastic, CA glue, etc.; how hard it is, physically - i.e., whether a fingernail will scratch the finish once its done; how hard it is, chemically - i.e., whether an oil-based wash will dislodge or discolor it (unlikely, but possible); whether it will yellow over time (more likely than you think). Excessive "hotness" and yellowing are the 2 most likely problems, in my experience.

Will it work out? Probably. But how much of a chance are you willing to run? At the very least, test it on a similar piece of plastic (ideally the same type as the model) that has been painted by some of the same paint, applied in the same way. You won't be able to tell about the yellowing for a few months or years, though you may be able to speed it up by leaving the test piece in direct sunlight.

Maybe someone can recommend a particular brand of flat laquer they have used successfully over time?
Wad_ware
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 537 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Captain Part-Timer,
I think I will definately stay with the 'real' model sprays like Testors,etc...
After putting all the time and work into a great kit I would absolutely be devastated if things were to turn out nasty like you say.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help,
Wayne
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:45 PM UTC
My guess about non model specialized products is that they can be used as long as they have been enough testing with all kinds of materials that u r going to use em. Some laquers might been harmful for your paints and models. someof them might be ok . I ve located an acrylic flat varnish that costs 10 euro while the equal amount in modelling company would cost me 58 euro so . i bought it test it even in my fragile painted figures and works fine. so its ok . thats the procedure i think
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
Your best bet for the $$, is to go to the craft store and get the large can of Art Supply clear flat.
Its laquer based and very flat, and it doesn't eat plastic. The product is used to seal
pastel and chalk portraits.
 _GOTOTOP