TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
"T-34" Russian movie is awesome.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 05:38 AM UTC
The Russian movie T-34 (the highest grossing movie in Russian film history) is actually pretty good. Regardless of what you think about the plot, the movie tries to maintain historical accuracy regarding the vehicles used in the battle scenes. German vehicles look like German tanks and are not re-tooled T-34s, M-48s or American halftracks used to represent German personnel carriers. I don't know how much was CGI, Scale models or actual 1/1 reproductions. The end effect was very believable and made watching the movie so much better. Like Fury, the survival of a lone tank against overwhelming odds is improbable but highly entertaining. Netflix has the English dubbed version. I would recommend this movie to all WWII armor buffs.....Even the Fieseler Storch looked the part.
Removed by original poster on 10/16/19 - 18:23:59 (GMT).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 - 02:53 AM UTC
I just saw it last night. Didn't see your post until I myself was going to post about it. I didn't expect much, especially in the beginning when everyone sounded like they were raised in Indiana.
However, the effects were cool, and as cheesy as the plot line was, it was entertaining enough to see it through to the end.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 02:07 AM UTC
is this film available to buy as a dvd or some kind of download?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is this film available to buy as a dvd or some kind of download?

I was only able to find/watch it on Amazon Prime Video. If you’re not subscribed, you can always sign-up for the 30-day Free Trial, watch a bunch of movies and original series like ‘Jack Ryan,’ then cancel before the trial runs out. HTH.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Russian movie T-34 (the highest grossing movie in Russian film history) is actually pretty good. Regardless of what you think about the plot, the movie tries to maintain historical accuracy regarding the vehicles used in the battle scenes. German vehicles look like German tanks and are not re-tooled T-34s, M-48s or American halftracks used to represent German personnel carriers. I don't know how much was CGI, Scale models or actual 1/1 reproductions. The end effect was very believable and made watching the movie so much better. Like Fury, the survival of a lone tank against overwhelming odds is improbable but highly entertaining. Netflix has the English dubbed version. I would recommend this movie to all WWII armor buffs.....Even the Fieseler Storch looked the part.

Well an exceptional crew could have done it but it ended up seeming too much like a video game scenario. But it makes for good movie action.

The choice of voices for the dubbed cast wasn't the best. Little flat? Almost sounded like an anime dub.

I could pick on the zimmerit on the Panthers being way too regular

The Pzkpfw III was on a BMD (six wheeled BTR-D?) chassis. The Pzkpfw IV and II were CGI. The T-34/76 was a mock up of a 1941 era vehicle. I pulled out my Dragon kit and compared the configuration.

The Panthers were T-54/55 chassis. They did a very good job obscuring and hiding the suspension.

Liked it. Liked it better than Fury in fact. No Brad Pitt and useless angst.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 02:44 PM UTC
T-34, I need to look this up.
Is this the movie? (youtube.com/watch?v=ZNS1tMZ9NJ8)

I did just watch (on yootoob), Tankers. In Russian.

"Inspired by real events, Tankers tells the story of one KV-1 tank crew's heroic WWII victory. Having a losing fight, the crew of Semyon Konovalov destroyed 16 enemy tanks, 2 armored vehicles and 8 vehicles with enemy personnel near Nizhnemityakin farm in Tarasovskoye district of Rostov region. This is the story of not the poster heroes, but broken, cheerful, and very diverse guys who just wanted to live. At the decisive moment they managed to do the only right thing and performed the deed worthy of the legend."

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

T-34, I need to look this up.
Is this the movie? (youtube.com/watch?v=ZNS1tMZ9NJ8)

I did just watch (on yootoob), Tankers. In Russian.

"Inspired by real events, Tankers tells the story of one KV-1 tank crew's heroic WWII victory. Having a losing fight, the crew of Semyon Konovalov destroyed 16 enemy tanks, 2 armored vehicles and 8 vehicles with enemy personnel near Nizhnemityakin farm in Tarasovskoye district of Rostov region. This is the story of not the poster heroes, but broken, cheerful, and very diverse guys who just wanted to live. At the decisive moment they managed to do the only right thing and performed the deed worthy of the legend."

The linked movie is the right one.

I just watched Tankers and it is an incredible ride. The KV-1 mock-up (on a IS chassis) is superb. The bits about keeping the tanks running is excellent as is the attention to detail in the scenes of the Russian maintenance unit.

The battle scenes are intense and pretty close to what I've read about the actual engagement. The German armor was really pzkpfw III with the 5 cm gun and were trying to get in close. The German tanks in the movie are the T-55 Pzkpfw IV H with schurtzen conversions. The wrong tank with a gun that could have taken out the KV-1 just as is indicated when in one scene the Germans bring up a pak 40.

But for me it went by so fast I barely noticed the hour and a half running time.

The Russians know how to do tank movies. You want tank movies? Watch the Russian ones.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 06:37 AM UTC
Nice catch on the details of the actual tanks for the movie. Yes, it was a really good tank movie.

barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 02:42 AM UTC
The Russian movie Tankers is good also. It is on youtube. White tiger also. kind of a fantasy flick but good
Striker
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 10:31 PM UTC
Some others that were good, not necessarily tank movies:

Panfilov's 28
The Priest
Bastards
V avguste 44-go (I think the english title is "The Moment of Truth")

There's a couple of others I've seen, but I've been enjoying the Russian movies a lot. Lots of good views of terrain and buildings also.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
Another new one is Tanks for Stalin
It's a sort of lighthearted take on the ew hundred kilometer journey the A-20 T-34 prototypes made to attend a parade in Moscow. It takes place before the war.

There's the love story and the inept German spies and crazy cossacks and that dry Russian humor. So it's fun.

The T-34 conversions to A-20 prototypes are pretty good and the restored T-35 makes an appearance (the T-100 and KV-2 look to be CGI but the T-35 looks real)