_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya German bicycle PE kit needed
m38
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hello all,
Once I read a post about a company that made a PE kit for Tamiya kit #35240 - German soldiers with bicylces. I had printed the post, but now I can not find it or the post.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Greg
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:56 AM UTC
hi Greg,
it is Aber kit 35097
link1
link2
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:58 AM UTC
hi there,

not sure about the post here, but its this set from royal model your after

cheers

joe
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Ok, now I've seen it all! why is there the need for something like this? A ten dollar kit now probably costs up to 20-25 with PE for a bicycle?! Big waste of dollars there! That, and the PE individual guide horns for the Panther tracks. Doesn't any one still build OOTB any more?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC
Lots of us do! But the big, wonderful thing is......we have choice!

Vinnie
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, now I've seen it all! why is there the need for something like this? A ten dollar kit now probably costs up to 20-25 with PE for a bicycle?! Big waste of dollars there! That, and the PE individual guide horns for the Panther tracks. Doesn't any one still build OOTB any more?

I agree with you
link
m38
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
KellyZak,
It is my prerogative to spend my money how I choose. I have the kit and do not like the spokes on the wheels. I like to build highly detailed models. That is my hobby....highly detailed models. If you like to build straight from the box ,that is excellent and I don't have a problem with it. To each his own.

Greg

P.S. Thanks guys for the timely responses.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
I'm happy with out of the box now, but if I had the money, I surely would buy the PE, cause it is more work, plus it makes it look better most of the time. Someday I will have the money again.
You buy a model to satisfy yourself, not other people, then you will feel better for it. The thing is, if you can make the kit part look just as good without the PE, then you have really achieved somthing that very few can.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why do you care who builds OOTB or not? Just curious... that is all.....

Jeff
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi all,
Of course to each his/her own...if someone wants to add as much AM/PE to a kit as they want, I'm all for it. It's just not my bag. I just notice that builders (not all) say you can't do a kit without adding AM parts. I bought Tamiya's Panther Steel Wheel kit, and right away I was told by a fellow modeller that I had to get Aber sets, a aluminum barrell, new side skirts, resin wheels, as the number of bolts on them is incorrect, and resin/metal tracks, just to make it look ok. Sure, I'll just go drop that extra 200 dollars on a kit I paid 20 for.

I believe that you can add as much AM stuff you want to a kit, but when it's weathered and finished, not much will be noticed. I've seen at contests where somone has gone all out on the AM stuff, only to not even place, and the winner has been someone who did it right out the box, and has never ever used PE or AM stuff. It was the way it was presented and weathered that won the day. The looks on some of the people's faces that went nuts on the AM material, it was almost "Why did I even bother?"

To all whom I may have offended or p*ssed off, I apologise. We're all modellers, and we all have our own way of doing things pertaining to our builds. I maintain the belief that you can still do a outstanding job of a build without having to take a second mortgage out on your house. :-)
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Glad to see everybody is getting along again.

Quoted Text

I have the kit and do not like the spokes on the wheels.

Are you sure that PE is the best way to fix that particular issue? Seems like some very thin steel (for stiffness) wire would be the way to go, rather than flat brass pieces. If you're going to go to the trouble of replacing the spokes, I think you'd get a better result by actually replicating the structure of the real thing. Just an idea.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:11 PM UTC
I seen a lot of the others say the same thing, if it looks right, then it probably is right.
m38
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
Thanks P-T'er for the tip. I have actually been experimenting with that. I have been drilling completely through the tire and inserting the spokes then puttying over the holes.

I too am glad we are once again a big happy family. I didn't mean to come across so harsh. Just wasn't in the mood for a lecture when all I asked for was a little help.

Greg

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC
LOL a PE bike. They will super detail just about anything
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 12:52 PM UTC
99.7% of everything I build is OOB. I just don't have much experience with those "fiddely" P.E. frets. However, you got me interested m38. If there is one thing I really enjoy, it's little vignettes, and those bicycles kits give me plenty of ideas. I never knew they existed. I'm still not sure I would want to dress up an AFV more than what the manufacturer did, but that P.E. set for the bike really made it stand out. Thanks for the ideas, and the " heads-up".

Mike

_GOTOTOP