How do you store superglue
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hello fellow members,

Some time ago I had my first usage of superglue for gluing metal tracks of Friul Model for my model of the T-34-85 from ICM.
But after first use, I didn't really know to store it. How to clean it. And now I have a little tube of SuperUnix Superglue laying around that is useless for the moment. Don't really know what to do now. Any way that I can fix the problem of the superglue that has dried in the tip? Or should I buy a new tube? And how should I store it after use then? So that I can reuse it. That I don't constantly have to buy new tubes which costs lot of money in the long term.
Any help would be appreciated.

Lada_Niva
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 02:13 AM UTC
It should be kept sealed and in the fridge. That is how it is stored before being shipped.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 03:03 AM UTC
What CMOT says plus:

If only the tip has dried you could take a small drill and drill an opening through the hardened CA.
In the future you can try to make sure that there is no CA left in the tip. Shake the liquid down or push it down with a metal wire.

/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 04:48 AM UTC
Mines in a mason jar in the fridge door, one bottle of gel type one bottle of regular type and have room for at least 1 more bottle.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 08:57 AM UTC
Let me add myself to the "Store it in the fridge" group. I have a Tupperware jar with those dry packs (moister absorbers that say do not eat) you get in multitude of items you regularly buy put inside the jar with the bottles/tubes of glue. I replace the packs every couple months. But be advised the glue still has a limited shelf life. Storing in the fridge just extends it a bit longer. Warmth and moisture, is what I am told, is the culprit. As for your tip issue, use some nail polish remover (Acetone) to clean the tip before you put the cap back on. If it is dry Acetone will help remove it but it still is a struggle.

As for brands, I use BSI (Bill Smith Industries) and/or HyperBond.

Cheers

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 12:20 PM UTC
I keep my in a tupperware with some bags of silica gel in the driest place I have in the house .... the freezer, it lasts me even more than in the fridge, the glue doesn't suffer at all, the only thing is that I have to pull it out at least 15-30 min before or dries too slowly, but for some jobs it is a bonus,before by living in the tropics with high humidity it lasted me less than a case of beer... and the beer go down pretty fast here...my 3 bottle of Zap and Loctite gel are in the freezer for 1 and a half year and is still like new
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thank you all for your nice comments. Will be glad to implement it when time is there.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 407 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC
I too store my glue in the fridge after use. I do not use the tip on the bottle, instead I use a toothpick to place a blob on the top of a used aluminum can lid. The glue will remain workable with a toothpick for a longer period. I have used Bob smith industries gel glue for many years now and have had great luck with it, especially with photoetch.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 - 04:52 AM UTC
While the fridge makes sense, I find all too often I store mine as a solid block inside a plastic bottle in my toolbox...
TopSmith
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,742 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 06:17 PM UTC
Tom, for that reason I buy the smallest amount possible.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom, for that reason I buy the smallest amount possible.

I just realized I have never completely used up a bottle or tube of CA. The tubes often leaked or dried up. Being more fragile than a bottle I've inadvertently smashed them leaking the glue all over the inside of tray in my hobby box. And the bottles tend to dry up when they are about 75% empty. Doesn't matter the size of the bottle or how well I store it, it will dry when about 25% of the glue is left.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 07:28 AM UTC
I now got Bison superglue gel of the Action.
When laying in the fridge, it is still usable till the tube is empty.
 _GOTOTOP