_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Storage bins in 1/72nd scale.................
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
I have been scratch building a Panzer IV J interior for the past 10 months and I have ran into a problem. As for the storage bins for the MG rounds what would you recommend for the thickness of sheet plastic I should use? The smallest thickness I have is .015" inch-0.04mm. Is there a smaller thickness that I should use?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 03:51 PM UTC

Wolfie,
The only way to work out a correct reply is to measure the real thing and to divide by 72.
On a small scale like 1/72, practical matters complicate this general rule.
Maybe your styrene needs to be even thinner than the 0.04 mm you refer to if you want an exact scale, but there's a good reason why you probably won't find much thinner.
Already with 0.04, the styrene glue (or other liquid you use to glue it like trichloreethylene or cellulose thinner, etc...) may well dissolve the styrene. The thinner, the more sensitive to this.
An alternative may be thin paper on which you smear a drop of CA glue. The glue penetrates into the paper and hardens it, almost without adding thickness. But glueing that won't be easy either.
I'd go for the styrene you found there, and use a good magnifying glass.

Good grief you must be blessed with good eyes !
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wolfie,
The only way to work out a correct reply is to measure the real thing and to divide by 72.
On a small scale like 1/72, practical matters complicate this general rule.
Maybe your styrene needs to be even thinner than the 0.04 mm you refer to if you want an exact scale, but there's a good reason why you probably won't find much thinner.
Already with 0.04, the styrene glue (or other liquid you use to glue it like trichloreethylene or cellulose thinner, etc...) may well dissolve the styrene. The thinner, the more sensitive to this.
An alternative may be thin paper on which you smear a drop of CA glue. The glue penetrates into the paper and hardens it, almost without adding thickness. But glueing that won't be easy either.
I'd go for the styrene you found there, and use a good magnifying glass.

Good grief you must be blessed with good eyes !

Thank you sir for your input, I may try the paper salution. As for having good eyes, well yes I do :-) but I use optivisors for all my small work.
 _GOTOTOP