_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Anyone near Tacoma, WA?
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 323 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 05:14 PM UTC
Just looking to see if there is anyone near Tacoma, WA, or clubs in the area.
md72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hi Shawn, I'm in Everett, not terribly close to Tacoma. Tacoma does have an IPMS chapter, I think it's Green Dragons, they so have a presence on Facebook. I think that they have a one a month build night. Further north, Seattle has an IPMS chapter, 2nd Saturdays in Redmond. There is also the NWSM, North West Scale Modelers, they meet first Thursday at the Museum of Flight in the Red Barn. NWSM isn't an organized group, no officers, or rules, but it full of fantastic modelers. Both Seattle area groups have Facebook groups. Check them out for more details.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 11:13 PM UTC
I'm up here in the Sound but have/had family in Tacoma near Waller Rd. Plus two tours of duty at Ft. Lewis, Tacoma and Puyallup are old stompin' grounds.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC
There are lots of us in the Tacoma area or nearby. And University Place, Federal Way, really all over the south Sound. In addition, the best Hobby Shop in the Puget Sound Region (perhaps the entire NW) is in Renton-- Skyway Models. As Mark has indicated, there's the Seattle IPMS, The Tacoma Green Dragons and my favorite-- the NorthWest Scale Modelers informal group which meets the first Thursday of each month at 7PM in the Red Barn at Tukwila's Museum of Flight-- probably the finest Aviation Museum on the West Coast. In addition, the Museum of Flight sponsors the largest modeling show in the region, over Presidents Day weekend every February. Admission is free to those displaying their models-- and usually there are nearly 2000 models on display. It's not a contest though, and there are no venders, but clinics and model building tables are organized. Up North, near Everett is the FHCAM-- Paul Allen's Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum, which holds a similar but smaller NWSM event. The IPMS annual show is in April in Renton-- usually with over a 1000 Models in competition, and many vendors. So there's a lot going on here.
VR, Russ
TopSmith
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,742 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hey I'm located between Tacoma and Spanaway Near Waller Rd. As Russ said, there are quite a few from the Everett to Olympia. Glad you found us.
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
entire network: 323 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hey all!

Sorry, Im terrible about checking this thread but I appreciate all those that responded. It sounds like there are some great groups and opportunities out here, hopefully Ill meet some of you soon.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all!

Sorry, Im terrible about checking this thread but I appreciate all those that responded. It sounds like there are some great groups and opportunities out here, hopefully Ill meet some of you soon.

You need to join us at the Seattle Museum of Flight for the Annual Northwest Scale Modelers show, 15-16 February. It’s the largest show in the Northwest, with literally thousands of models of all types on display (years past we’ve had between 1500-3000 models of all types and genres from kits to scratch builds, MRR, Ships, planes, automobiles, Military vehicles, spacecraft and figures). Folks come from as far away as California and Canada, even Hawaii. It’s not a competition, and those who display have free admission to the Museum, all day both days (all others must pay admission)- but they like you to bring ALL your models, and you should contact them in advance. In addition, there are work tables set up so the public can see modelers actually at work on projects. There are also modeling seminars open to the public. It’s held under and around the massive SR71 in the great hall. There’s also a Make & Take seminar, this year it’s sponsored by the Museum, and the model is a 1/48 Fokker DVII but there is a $10 fee as Monogram-Revell has ceased to sponsor these events since they went out of business in the US. The NWSMs meet every first Thursday of the Month at the MoF (that’s the free admission evening).

There’s also the Seattle IPMS show in April— last year there were over 2000 models in competition and display at the Renton Event Center. Hope to see you there. Here’s a link to the two shows:

http://ipms-seattle.org/index.php

https://www.museumofflight.org/Plan-Your-Visit/Calendar-of-Events/4846/2020-northwest-scale-modelers-show

VR, Russ
xraytech
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2020 - 06:54 PM UTC
I'm in the Bremerton area and have been for 23 years and did not know of an IPMS chapter in Tacoma. Will check that out. Retired and looking to get with a club. Went to the IPMS show last year at the museum of flight and it was very inspiring. Want to attend this year and show some of my work.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in the Bremerton area and have been for 23 years and did not know of an IPMS chapter in Tacoma. Will check that out. Retired and looking to get with a club. Went to the IPMS show last year at the museum of flight and it was very inspiring. Want to attend this year and show some of my work.

Welcome to the ranks of the retired! There are actually several of us in the Key Peninsula/Bremerton-Siverdale area. You’re a bit late for the MoF show though— the exhibition was last weekend, with 2,175 models on display. It’s not part of Seattle IPMS though, although there are IPMS members that participate. But there’s always the IPMS Seattle Show in April, which usually has around 1,000 models on display and in competition. The MoF Exhibition is put on by the Northwest Scale Modelers as an annual exhibition every Presidents Day Weekend. NWSM is a separate informal group of modelers without officers or dues that meets in the MoF’s Red Barn at 7PM on the first Thursday of each month (that’s the Museums monthly free admission night, beginning at 4PM).
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP