Trouble with decals?
Decalling over Rivets
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:37 PM UTC
How do you stick decals on really rough surfaces, like those that are riveted, or have many protrusions?
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:57 PM UTC
use both micro sol and micro set its a 2 part application which help your decals to fit over thee rasied detail ect
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC
mikeli125 is right. Microsol/ Microset works like wonders. It even looks like a painted on than a decal! Available in JMN in Harrison here in the Philippines.
blank
Visit this Community
entire network: 190 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Need to get some of their stronger stuff, I already have Micro Set....
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:02 PM UTC
If you can get a hold of Solvaset you'd be in business but it is harder to find ...Apparently Gunze has a decal soffener and it works great on Tamiya's thick decals so maybe try that option...

Rick
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:37 PM UTC
Blank, I don't know what you are doing, but if you say you are using micro sol and micro set, you need to go to the rivit review board on page 3, the Italeri Berge Tiger part 3 that Plastic Battle done, now he said he used microset and microsol, and you need to to and look at the beautiful job he done on his Berge Tiger with the decals over the Zimmerit.
If it can go over Zimmerit like that, it should easily go over pop rivits.
Hope this helps.

Kerry
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:27 PM UTC
About Gunze's set
r Setter and Mr Softer, which of them do we use first ? Me setter and then Mr softer? i got them ...but i forgot how we use them .....
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:19 AM UTC
If the Mr. Setter and Mr.Softer work like the MicroScale Microset and Microsol then the "set" would help the decal conform to a smoother surface. Whereas the "soft/sol" will make the decal "snuggle" down around the details. BUT, the "sol/soft" will "crinkle" the decal as it works. When you see this DO NOT TOUCH THE DECAL.! As the "sol/soft" dries, the decal will conform to the details under it.
I used the Microscale to get the big white star and ring decal to conform to the engine deck of an M8 armored car. Worked very well. I would post a picture but the model was in a display at a local libray and when the librarians removed the models, the M8 was "dropped". I think some kid got into the display case and damaged a couple of models. Last time anything gets displayed at that library.
Hope this helps.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:57 PM UTC
So its first Mr setter under the decal, and after applying this we pour the Mr Softer and leave it work on the decal ? ok thanks
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
Apply the decal according to directions, Blot excess water off using a cotton swab or the corner of a paper towel. I use a clean #1 brush and apply a bit of "set" and let it dry a while. If the decal is not "snuggling" down over the decal, then use the brush to apply "soft/sol"
Again, DO NOT TOUCH the decal until completly dry. This should work.
If it dosen't, then a bit more "sol/soft"
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So its first Mr setter under the decal, and after applying this we pour the Mr Softer and leave it work on the decal ? ok thanks

As pipesmoker indicated, I wouldn't "pour" anything on the decal. Use a brush or a q-tip to gently blot on the softener. The decal may well wrinkle; have faith - 99% of the time, the wrinkles will all go away as it dries (every once in a while with a very large, very thick decal, the sticky underside of the wrinkling decal will come into contact with itself, and a very small crease will be caused in the decal - solutions to this problem are limited and not entirely satisfactory, but it probably won't happen to you). Once the wrinkling is over, I like to apply, at approx. 5 minute intervals, 3-5 more light applications of the softener. If the decal was applied over a less-than-mirror-smooth finish, this will help the decal conform ever more closely to variations in the surface texture, as well as any grooves/rivets/seams. It will also make the edges of the decal less and less apparent, reducing the amount of top-coat that will be needed to make the decal completely disappear.
 _GOTOTOP