_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
AK easy-cast texture medium
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 09:30 PM UTC
anyone use this product? ak website doesn't have a tutorial (that I could find) so i'm a bit in the dark.

thanks
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 03:26 AM UTC
http://ak-masters.com/app/pdf/AK_897_EASY_CAST.pdf

Cheers,
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 03:39 AM UTC
perfect; thank you.

Q2: anyone have experience with this product (+ or -)?

thanks; too
ianalderman
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 05:01 AM UTC
It's absolute c*&p! Don't go near it.

Ian
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 - 09:08 AM UTC
no; really, how do you feel about it?

I tried it on some 1/25 scale resin headers that were cast to small in diameter. it stuck well, and the peaks I pulled with a paint brush held their shape. after drying, I sanded it down and gave them another coat simply brushed smooth. looks okay, but I assume there's a learning curve.

I also used it on a piece of smooth signboard (forget what it's called) and it troweled on with a pallet knife. had a slight texture when dry and stuck well to a smooth uncleaned from the factory finish.

I want to play around with it some more, but could use some pointers if anyone (who likes it!) has some to share.

thanks
ianalderman
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 02:44 AM UTC
Ok, I've had another good look at the product, and experimented some more, on various materials, with different thicknesses, number of coats, type of brush, etc, just in case, but for the life of me, I cannot see any resemblance to cast steel on any of the patches I created.

Maybe that's where I went wrong; the tin doesn't actually say that it is supposed to resemble the cast texture on armour, (which is what I assumed).

What it does represent, (to my eyes), is the surface of a rough sea on a very small scale model, crushed velvet, or, at a push, a coating of rust. Maybe it's just me, but I just cannot see "cast armour".

On the plus side, it dries quickly, adheres well, is water soluble, and doesn't smell obnoxiously.

I'd be delighted to see a picture showing a realistic cast armour effect achieved with this product, but I'm not holding my breath.

And no, I'm not particularly anti AK; I use a good number of their products.

Ian
 _GOTOTOP