_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hi from sunny Northumberland, UK
johnnmarksdad
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi, thought I’d just pen a couple of lines to say hello in anticipation of a long and fruitful association. I’m 64 and have decided after a hiatus of many years from the hobby to rekindle my interest in armour modelling. I say armour but I have a definite leaning towards softskins and motorcycles. I’d prefer working in 1:35-1:32 but can't afford the current prices so will give braille scale a go! Keep your fingers crossed for me,!!
Thanks for your kind attention
Regards
John
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 03:46 AM UTC
Welcome to the site and welcome back to the hobby!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 10:39 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama (since military vehicles was your main interest) and welcome back to the hobby.

Some thoughts about scale, prices and kits.
The exact same vehicle in 1/72 is a lot cheaper than the same thing in 1/35.
On the other hand there are some 1/35 kits that are cheaper than some 1/72 scale kits (a small jeep in 1/35 vs a 1/72 tank transporter).
Another thing to consider is the amount of joy per the invested pounds and pennies. When considering the cost of a kit it might be worthwhile to consider the total hours of hobby-time that you get for the cash spent on a it.
The cost of a kit relects, at least to some degree, the complexity and number of parts and the complexity and part count is related to the amount of details and to the time needed to assemble it.
Visit a model shop and take a look inside some kits. Maybe a 1/35 kit will give you more minutes of fun-per-penny than a 1/72 kit. More parts, better detail, easier to see and handle. The same reasoning can be applied within a single scale as well, there is a reason for a kit of a Kübelwagen being a lot cheaper than an M1070 tank transporter.

cheers / Robin
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,476 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 03:18 AM UTC
Welcome John there’s plenty to stoke the fires here. I know where sunny Northumberland is because I was born in Whitley Bay a year after you, but had no idea it's been excavated & floated down the coast to “East Anglia” according to your given banner location...Brexit sure is tearing the country apart

(if you scroll down 2 threads you’ll see Dogload’s from our part of the world too – sunny Shields)
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 03:55 AM UTC
Welcome to the network and I hope you find the answers you seek. I would suggest watching Ebay as some kits can be had cheaply on occasion plus keep an eye on the buy and sell forum on this network. Right now where is this Sunny Northumberland you speak of?
 _GOTOTOP