_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Naturan Metal Finish Primer? Gloss?
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 297 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 03:23 PM UTC
Going to give Vallejo's Metallic paints a try in a couple of days. (Lacquers and enamel paints are out for me - small place, no spray booth.) I was assuming I'd use Gunze's Gloss Black as a kind of a primer. But Alclad - which requires gloss black - is almost translucent, so the gloss black acts as a kind of base. Vallejo water based acrylics may be more opaque - and if so - then perhaps gloss black is unnecessary. If so, I'd use my Duplicolor "Hot Rod Black" rattlecan primer - which is fillable and sandable - both very desirable qualities - but it's at best satin after a polish. (I use it outside). So, do wise heads think I still need a gloss black primer? or could I go with the standard primer? Thanks in advance.
Eric
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
Have you thought about adding a clear gloss coat on top of the primer before the metallic paint?
/ Robin
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 09:47 PM UTC
Depends also what do you want to do,the subject and finish
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 12:08 AM UTC
the Vallejo metallic need a bit of thinning (or something!). I've had them get gummy on the brush and only use them for accents here & there. maybe the gloss base is what i'm missing. I like the idea of traditional primer with gloss clearcoat.

there are those that swear by, and at, floor finish, but this might be a good place to use it since there will be an overcoat.
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 297 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 09:51 AM UTC
I've done some more research and we're really dealing with two issues. One is black/gloss, the other is smooth (which will also give a gloss). Metallic paints definitely want smooth because they show errors and irregularities on the finish. But the king of gloss you get in Gunze comes from the solvents - Future would do the same thing if hand painted: but neither would guarantee smooth at all - indeed, you could easily get orange peel.
I'm thinking of using my Duplicolor which I think I should be able to sand to a very smooth state (the primer is made with sanding in mind) - this will make it a satin black. As noted above, what impact you want will influence what is done. I'm not sure I want a show room shinny Ki-61 in active service. However, I could use a paint mule and try putting Tamiya X-22 clear (which lays down very well) over sanded Duplicolor.
Thanks for the opinions.
 _GOTOTOP