_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Finally got my site up and running...
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 01:36 PM UTC
http://home.attbi.com/~paleoart/moments1.htm

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Dana
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC
What can I say.....it's like your dio's........Made with love and perfection !!

Very nice site Dana !! Maybe ad some more tip's 'n tricks you use ?

But for the rest....TOPS !
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:39 PM UTC
Ummmmm....

I think you might have missed the point of the site. It is a commercial site that offers my buidling services for hire.... how smart would it be to put some helpful tips on model building on there?

Thanks for the nice comments!

Dana
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 10:01 PM UTC
Nice looking site and very nice looking dios.

Nic
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm where is the sharing at

Well...... if sharing helped pay my car payment or electric bill I would be all for it.

I have sharing techniques and have so here and other places, I am just not interested in doing it on my site.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 12:51 AM UTC
Howdy Dana,

I understand your point. Makes complete business sense. My father used to build/create elaborate dioramas of mainly pre-World War subject matter for wealthy corporate clients, as well as museums in the NYC/ Newark, NJ area back in the sixties. The income he made from that endeavor (though a little sporadic) actually made him more money than his 'regular' occupation, which was Draftsman (back when they used to actually draw it out using pencil & paper).
On the other hand, I believe sgtreef's point was also understandable. You can't expect to show your work to an interested crowd of fans without expecting them to want you to share a piece of that talent with them. Do you?
Your talent is apparent, and obviously a natural blend of a creative mind, a steady hand, and a good eye. Hopefully it wouldn't be out of the realm of being 'neighbourly' to share some harmless hints with this small group of enthusiasts who prefer to build their own dios rather than purchase one.

Just a thought.

Tread.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
I think you might have missed the point of the site

Hhhmmmmm...... "Price Guide, What can I build for you,I can create something that will more than fit your needs......." What sort of site could this possibly be......

Sorry, but I can read.....

I just didn't fancy to write down a whole article like Tread did. If I did, it would probably just be something like Treads post.....

So Tread...Heir Heir...
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC
Great looking site! I certainly understand where you are coming from and think that business and hobby stuff should be separate especially since you are trying to make some $$$.

Good luck, I am sure you will do well as your talent is quite obvious..... I'd gladly buy some of that if you would put some up for sale!
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 01:07 PM UTC
Not trying to sound nasty here but come on...

I realize that some admire my work and I appreciate that greatly, but I pay bills with this. I have given out tons of advice on forums before and have written articles for online modeling sites... but keep in mind this is a business for me as well.
How well would a car repair shop do if they simply told everyone how to fix their cars over the phone; or how good would the income be on a restaurant if they just gave out recipes at the front door?

I have no problems giving advice or tips to a point, but I get the impression that some here feel that if you can build a decent model you MUST share or you are simply not being nice. If that is what they or you think then fine, that is your choice... but it is certainly not the kind of attitude that makes anyone inclined to share.

I have no trouble sharing, but the idea of puting a page on my site that gives "tips and tricks"? That would be just a tad self-destructive don't you think?

Once again, not trying to be nasty, just standing my ground. Just because I am not in a huge hurry to share every technique I know doesn't make me a bad modeler, it makes me a better businessman.

Peace
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not trying to sound nasty here but come on...

I realize that some admire my work and I appreciate that greatly, but I pay bills with this. I have given out tons of advice on forums before and have written articles for online modeling sites... but keep in mind this is a business for me as well.
How well would a car repair shop do if they simply told everyone how to fix their cars over the phone; or how good would the income be on a restaurant if they just gave out recipes at the front door?

I have no problems giving advice or tips to a point, but I get the impression that some here feel that if you can build a decent model you MUST share or you are simply not being nice. If that is what they or you think then fine, that is your choice... but it is certainly not the kind of attitude that makes anyone inclined to share.

I have no trouble sharing, but the idea of puting a page on my site that gives "tips and tricks"? That would be just a tad self-destructive don't you think?

Once again, not trying to be nasty, just standing my ground. Just because I am not in a huge hurry to share every technique I know doesn't make me a bad modeler, it makes me a better businessman.

Peace

Understood and no it is not that the feeling of sharing is not their,Their a few peole who also make stuff for bucks on here Guntruck I think is one and CaptJack I think is another. Sometimes money seems to get in the way of things. Now my point as a Mechanic How many peoples cars do you think I have worked on for free never asking or recieving anything in return but I can allways count on these folks for a returned favor so bring your car over and we can do some trading of favors . Just kidding I can understand your point this still would not put food on your table or pay you Bills,you do nicework and your prices seem good 65-125 was it for model built does this in clude PE applied or is this extra?
Latter
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
Let's not blow this thing out of proportions. I respect all the opinions on the matter, but if the commercial thought is the one and only reason behind this link, I suggest you hire some bannerspace. I understand and respect the commercial thoughts behind it, but then also give it the proper place under a "Paid Advertisement".

Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:38 PM UTC
Dana,

I inserted a post on your "Water Article" I found on Digital Diorama's. Here's a link to that post.

Water article

Looking at that water article and my comments on sharing while earning in this post "Finally got my site up and running..." makes me feel guilty. I judged you wrong and used invalid arguments!!

Therefore I'd like to apologize to you for the things that I've said in this post. Sharing doesn't make you a better person, I know that, but it sure makes me know that I was wrong.

Sorry Dana !!

I hope you can forgive me for this !

Danny
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
I just wanna say that your stuff looks awesome, becuase it truly is
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 12:22 AM UTC
Dana, nice site and good luck in your business venture.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
Good article and thanks I guess has to go Dana for the article.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:20 AM UTC
Where's the sharing??? Please!

Here is the sharing!

DW street nearly done. Updated pics!

Yet more update photos of the DW Diorama

Here is the Dragon Wagon Dio concept (pics)

DW street dio update. Figures and water (pics)

Burned out Sherman nearly complete... (pics)

Ongoing DW diorama pics. Figures in place.

Dragon Wagon Diorama FINALLY FINISHED! (Pics)

Dana - Good work on the site. I hope your business is doing well.

Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Dana, all the best. And from reading your submitted 'Water Article', (an article that Eagle was so gracious to post a link to) I see your talent's also cover some very creative writing skills as well!!
Thanks for being 'neighbourly', and posting such a good article that I'm am now sorely tempted to make a complete fool of myself and try it!

Tread.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 05:46 PM UTC
Well done Dana a very impressive site,and i wish you all the best in your future endevours
I also have web site,from which i had hoped to make into a part time money spinner,but
it is costing me more to keep it going than i am making from it,so i am closing it down.
When i get my head round HTML i will open one up on my own,so all the best,i hope
you make it.
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 08:25 PM UTC

All the pictures are gone Jim where have they gone too
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
Jeff,
As most peoples space on those Yahoo, MSN, etc. servers are limited I would assume Dana took them down.

If you missed them that's a shame. He had about 50 of them detailing the whole build process.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP