_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Testing new camera - any tips?
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC

Guess who got a digicam for his birthday

no plastic tho

I have taken a few shots and put them in my gallery. All have been taken inside - some with the flash.

The obvious thing to me is that the flash makes things very shiny - so natural light would be preferable.

I have reas the majority of posts in this forum; any other tips for good pics? (I'm trying to learn about the macro feature as well)

TIA

Brian
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC
Your pics look fine to me bilko. I agree that natural light is best for shooting photos, but I have a problem when I use my macro zoom. I don't know about your camera but on mine the only way I can use my macro is to use the small LCD on the back. The problem with shooting outside is the sunlight washes out the LCD to the point I can't see it. What I've been trying to do, when using the macro, is to put the model next to a window so natural light can come in and I can still see the LCD.

When using the macro many times I get the message, too close to focus. You need to hold the camera about 18 inches away from the model and zoom in. Doing it this way I'm pretty amazed at how close you can do it.

Get yourself a small tripod. I got one at an office supply store that sells cameras and accessories. It was only about $5 U.S.D. It extends to about 18 inches so it allows you to get far enough away to use the macro zoom.

The main thing is practice. There is a lot that can be done with your camera. Enjoy

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:42 AM UTC
If you can set up a neutral background, grey is best, and use a couple light sources, you should get good result. I use the three adjustable desk lamps on my workbench as "studio" lighting. I drape some grey fabric I got as a remnant at a fabric store for most backdrops. This allows your viewrs to not be distracted by the stuff in the back. Choose fabric that is pretty smothe, low lustre and has little noticeable texture. Felt is good but terry cloths and satin are not. By moving the lights around, I can get good lighting with no shadows. Go to My Gasllery to see the results.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC

Rodger & Al thanks for that input - gives me something to work with. Like all parts of model making it takes practice.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP