Trouble with decals?
Star/Bison Decals
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 12:10 AM UTC
Looking to see if anyone has had issues with Star/Bison decals? Other than them having a large amount of excess carrier film they don't seem to react well to Miro set or Sol. I even tried Tamiya Marksoft Strong. Its getting frustrating.
DrButterfingers
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 08:07 AM UTC
I admit I have some that I have not used - "react well" as in disintegrate or not soften?

My nuclear option for decals is Walthers Solvaset (model railroad mfr in Milwaukee, WI). Their kit decals very thick and need this stuff.

If they disintegrate the most mild thing I have is Decal Magic from Micromark.

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 09:28 AM UTC
I've not used them, but have considered purchasing some of their German sets. Hearing this makes me a bit hesitant; is there anyone who can recommend this brand over others, like Archer? Other than the particular vehicles they represent, like "Pz III's of the house down the street, Normandy 1944" as opposed to Dragon's patented, "unknown unit, (insert theater here),(year between 1939-1945)", is there anything about them that offsets being a PITA to use? A lot of the vehicles I build are featured by this company's decals so it is frustrating to hear about issues.

Push comes to shove, though, it isn't that hard to mask Balkenkreuz on most German armor and DIY.

Not meaning to go off-topic; just very interested in advice on this issue as well from a potential buyer's POV.
DrButterfingers
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 10:17 AM UTC
I was planning on using them on a US halftrack in short order so I can opine in a few days, I assume I should be gentle. I have an assumption the inks may be thinner than Cartograf or Archer so yellow / white over OD may be an issue. I had a "show-through" issue on Tamiya's M3 Stuart so even pros aren't immune.

Lately I've had so many decal issues that I've been using as many dry transfers and masking as I can. Even cutting own masks etc.
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 12:39 PM UTC
I should have elaborated a bit more. The appear to be a bit on the thicker side and do not settle down over even minor raised details. Mine happen to be Finnish Hakaristi/swastikas. I did try several times as well to make my own masks but the white outline was just to hard to line up. I would have preferred archer but they don't have any Hakaristi I could see.
 _GOTOTOP