_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Painting plaster buildings
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 07:44 AM UTC
Howdy,
While I was searching for a Jagdpanzer to complete a trade I came across an "Add On" plaster building ruin that really should see the light of day.
My idea is to seal the plaster with a water diluted Elmers or white glue and use craft store paints. OR, should I skip the sealing part and just paint?
Also, any ideas how to mount to a wooden base ?

Any ideas on how to proceed ?

What would Verlinden do???
Thanks much for your input !
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 03:51 PM UTC
I have put together quite a few of these; your idea about craft paint is a good one as they do absorb a bit and the craft paint can be an inexpensive option. You might also try my preferred method of using common acrylic house paint that you can pick up at a Home Depot or any big box hardware store. All you need is the sample size (about $3 or $4), it will last you through many projects (I prefer flat black to seal and provide some extra shadow).
As far as attaching it a lot depends on what product or method you are using for general groundwork. If you are using Cell-U-Clay or any product like that I would glue the building in place and then build the Cell-U-Clay around it. It may take two applications of the ground material but it should hold it down fairly snug. If you use tile grout try the same method as it will dry rock hard and hold on to the plaster building with a death grip.
Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help with.

Cheers,
Rick Cooper
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 04:42 PM UTC
Check out Downtown Deco's site. Randy has a good "how to": http://www.downtowndeco.com/site/category/tutorials/

Enjoy,

Fred
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 12:33 AM UTC
Rick, thanks much for your generous offer of help! The "Add On" kit comes with a complete plaster base with cobblestones, sidewalk and then the building walls. I was thinking of mounting it to a wooden base. And the link that Fred posted to Downtown Deco Randy used 5 minute epoxy to glue all the parts together. So it should bond plaster to wood. With a good point made that diluted acrylics could soften the Elmers and weaken the bond.
Base coating, I'm thinking a dark grey instead of black. Missed spots or "accidents" might not be so glaring. Like the idea of house paint samples. Not every German building was painted in ochre. I'm leaning towards a blue wall.

Fred, thanks for the link to Randy's site ! There was a lot of good, helpful info there. Some I'll use outright, some I'll twist for my own purposes.

Happy modeling and thanks again guys !!
 _GOTOTOP