Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Our ROTC is Finally Finished
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:22 PM UTC
Well, our NROTC has finally finished. After 28 weeks of long hard training, we are now in the list of reservists. The 6 hours a week that almost feels like eternity, the long runs on the football field, swimming in the mud, and the endless push-ups have finally ceased. Other than that we had full of activities.

pic one
We had marksmanship training using the M-16. Out of 10 shots, 5 of them went through the head of the target. We also had dissasemble an M-14 and an M-16. During the competition, I have a record of 10 seconds in disassembly and 22 for assembly.

Shipboarding
Here I am in a shipboarding activity. I have come aboard a destroyer, corvette and a frigate. I had lots of fun commanding the 40mm AA gun. (I love that ballistic helmet!!!)

Amphibious Assault
Now here we are in our amphibious assault training. I was part of the second squad. Althought not realistic enough, I'm glad all of my comrades agree that we must make the battlefield alive.

Tank Commander
Not also did I ride upon a LAV-300, the soldiers there gave me an oppurtunity to be it's tank commander

Driver
Those soldiers are very nice to me, they even let me drive the tank!!! Weeeee!!!!!!!!

Crazy
Here I am driving the LAV like crazy. But ofcourse, I don't do it alone, some of the soldiers there instruct me so I won't get insane :-)

End
Here ends my 9 year of military training from being a Cub Scout to a Boy Scout to a Senior Scout to a COCC (Cadet Officer Candidate Course) to a CAT Officer and finally a Midshipman in the ROTC Model Battalion.

Some of the awards we won during the competition:
1st place
stripping and assembly of the M-16
preparatory of marksmanship
map reading (theoretical and actual)
marksmanship
pass in review
tactical inspection
Overall Champion in the whole Naval ROTC in the Philippines (with a big gap of 60 points than the second. Even if you double the second rank's points, the gap is still big)

I really love my unit, they are the best there would be. We've proven ourselves worthy of being called a model, THE MODEL BATTALION, the competing unit. I'm glad I've worked with them and I will never want a replacement. Now that my military career has ceased, I have to continue on with my studies. Hopefully, I could return not as a cadet, but a reserve.

Let this experience of mine be an example that ROTC is not just pain, you'll learn from it. It may or may not be as good as ours but you'll know one thing, discipline and commaradery. No one knows if I'll ever go in active duty, but if it put through, I'll go in the Air Force

I salute all of you brave soldiers of the world, whether your fighting for a cause, let that cause be peace.

PS, I never thought I will write this long.... Oh well, must be my love for the military.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:00 AM UTC
Way to go Shonnen!! There is no better way to win but as a Team. Bravo
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC
Thanks animal! Good thing I've spent my last year of training with a blast. There's nothing that made me liked the military more than my experience in our ROTC years.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
Even if you don't go in the Active Military you will still have the memories of your time in ROTC.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
Well Shonen, if you really love it that much, you could apply for a commission in the regular or reserves after you graduate from college. At your age (by the time you turn 20) you can be eligible to become a commisioned officer in the PN/PMC.

As for me, I'm too old to qualify for a regular commission. So Reserves is the only alternative for me.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:51 PM UTC
Congradulations Red!
The pictures are great and it is nice that you share them with the gang here.
We're all proud of you Buddy.
Great job.

Chuck
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
Congratulations, Red. I started in ROTC in High School, then college, 23 years active service as an infantry officer, and 10 years after as an instructor and Commandant. I've never forgotten what ROTC did for me. You look like a military man. So, as we say in the infantry, "Carry on, Soldier".
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks all! But one thing I must remember, study today, active duty tomorrow. After finishing my college degree, I'll go take aviation to fulfill my greatest goal of flying a real Harrier. (Or maybe that time, they might give me the JSF STOVL :-) :-) :-) )