_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Suggestions for electrical wiring ...........
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
Any suggestions on what to use for the electrical wiring on a 1/72nd scale armor piece? #:-)
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
How bout some electrical wiring?!
Get some realyl fine copper wire, or find an electrical wiring with small strands in them. If none of these are small enough, try horse hair, putty, long static grass, etc. might just work for you.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 04:23 PM UTC
If you cut open a speaker wire's rubber sleeve there are a bunch of tiny tiny wires woven together, I use them for making smal tie-down, and small wiring and things. Since I work in a company that makes audio equipment, so I have access to a lot of speaker wires, if you want any, drop me a note, I can send some to you by mail.

penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 05:06 PM UTC
Some guys ask their wife for a small contribution : a few long hair...
The problem is that it's "shape" depends a lot on air moisture.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
Thank you very much to everyone for giving me these great suggestions I will try them out.
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC
I "lighted" a chopper that I built with an LED in the cockpit and replaced the two outside red beacon lights with tiny LEDS.

Anyway, I had to feed the power to the cockpit for a short run along the outside of the fuselage. I used "wire wrapping" wire which I got at Radio Shack. It is very small gauge and insulated. I got the white color. I twisted the two strands together and then painted it the olive drab color of the chopper body. It came out looking great. Not a true to life detail of the real chopper, but looks pretty cool anyway.

I don't know if your application calls for insulated wire, but if it does, I would check out wire wrapping wire. You can paint it to suit your needs. (note, the wire itself, inside the insulation, is silver)

- MonkeyBoy
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I "lighted" a chopper that I built with an LED in the cockpit and replaced the two outside red beacon lights with tiny LEDS.

Anyway, I had to feed the power to the cockpit for a short run along the outside of the fuselage. I used "wire wrapping" wire which I got at Radio Shack. It is very small gauge and insulated. I got the white color. I twisted the two strands together and then painted it the olive drab color of the chopper body. It came out looking great. Not a true to life detail of the real chopper, but looks pretty cool anyw

I don't know if your application calls for insulated wire, but if it does, I would check out wire wrapping wire. You can paint it to suit your needs. (note, the wire itself, inside the insulation, is silver)

- MonkeyBoy

Hey Monkeyboy,
So if I understand you correctly this stuff you are talking about is called Wire Wrapping Wire?? You can get it from Radio Shack, correct? What is it used for, just in case someone asks me? Thanks
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
Wolf-leader,

The wire is commonly called "Wire wrap wire". The reason it's called this is because the way it is used for building electronic circuits. Instead of soldering, this wire is stripped of about 1/2 inch of insulation and wrapped tightly around special metal pins (about 1" long) attached to the circuit board. A special tool is used to perform this. (I used to do quite a bit of this, by the way.)

I believe the wire is 32 gauge (typically) and has a very thin, yet durable insulation available in a variety of colors. The conductor itself is a silver color and is a single strand (i.e. not braided). Also, due to way it is used (being wrapped very tightly) it is pretty durable as well. Of course it has its limits and will eventually break if twisted back and forth too many times.

I'm pretty certain Radio Shack still stocks it.

I hope that helps. If there's anything else you need let me know.

- MonkeyBoy
 _GOTOTOP