_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Gluing painted parts
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 12:42 AM UTC
When building a kit with multiple subassemblies like a kit with an interior that need to be painted separately and then glued...do you scrape off the paint from the areas to be glued before gluing? Do you mask where the parts will joined before painting? Do you just glue the parts with paint on them and not bother to scrape or mask the contact points? Which is your preferred method?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC
I mainly use Tamiya Extra Thin,I do not scrape anything as the glue will dissolve some paint anyway.I apply it carefully,and brush touch up any slight blemish,which are usually very small.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 03:36 AM UTC
I do the same unless it is a large part; then I will scrape some away.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 03:56 AM UTC
I try to keep joints clean, either by masking, avoiding, or if all else fails scraping. Sometimes I use a little glue on a brush to "wipe away" the paint down to bare plastic, before gluing it to another bare surface. I don't like to just flow glue into a joint trapping paint, as it creates a weaker joint.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I try to keep joints clean, either by masking, avoiding, or if all else fails scraping. Sometimes I use a little glue on a brush to "wipe away" the paint down to bare plastic, before gluing it to another bare surface. I don't like to just flow glue into a joint trapping paint, as it creates a weaker joint.

I do the same. It’s really better to keep the joints as clean as possible, but that’s not always the easiest job to do. If it’s a small part, I’ll resort to using CA or epoxy rather than regular styrene cement. There are some kits (WnW for example) where tolerances are so tight, parts must remain free of paint. In those cases, I keep a medium grit sanding “twig” and a sharp scalpel blade handy to scrape away paint. I also use a Q-tip (or a Tamiya swab— I’m not sure what they call them), soaked in a bit of lacquer thinner to remove paint from mating surfaces. I tend to build the “military miniatures” way though (old school figure miniatures were generally assembled before any painting was done), where 80% of my kit is assembled, or it’s assembled in sub-assemblies prior to painting. That way most significant joints are already glued before the paint goes on.
VR, Russ
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When building a kit with multiple subassemblies like a kit with an interior that need to be painted separately and then glued...do you scrape off the paint from the areas to be glued before gluing? Do you mask where the parts will joined before painting? Do you just glue the parts with paint on them and not bother to scrape or mask the contact points? Which is your preferred method?

I use them all,depend from the model (with WnW models is asking for trouble like Russ said),were,if structural etc...but if possible i prefere without paint in the joits
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 09:25 PM UTC
Personally I like to scrape before gluing. I have tried different methods but scraping seems to be the easiest and most effective for me.

Thanks,
Randy
 _GOTOTOP