_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How should i spray Mr hobby varnish?
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,

I'm asking for tips on how i should spray Mr hobby Varnish to get the best results for surfaces. i recently sprayed the varnish on an F-22 fighter jet. the result was good, but not perfect. the surface seems to require polishing, and it takes at least 2 days to dry to a good standard.

Therefor, what is the best way to spray Mr hobby varnish using an airbrush? How do you spray Mr hobby varnish?

In the picture you can see my results.
20190705_231042

20190707_221925

Looking Forward to your replies.

Hyder

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 02:27 PM UTC
I like to thin Mr. Hobby Gloss coats and flat coats with at least 50:50 Mr. Hobby Leveling thinner, and even as high as 70:30 for their varnishes on occasion. One thing to understand is Mr. Hobby Colors are highly pigmented and concentrated mixtures in the bottle, and are designed to be highly thinned. I suspect that's why it took so long to dry with a slight "orange peel texture. I only thin Mr. Color with its own proprietary thinner, as I've found other thinners can interfere with the drying process sometimes. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
Owengate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"One thing to understand is Mr. Hobby Colors are highly pigmented and concentrated mixtures in the bottle, and are designed to be highly thinned."

Thanks for the tip!
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like to thin Mr. Hobby Gloss coats and flat coats with at least 50:50 Mr. Hobby Leveling thinner, and even as high as 70:30 for their varnishes on occasion. One thing to understand is Mr. Hobby Colors are highly pigmented and concentrated mixtures in the bottle, and are designed to be highly thinned. I suspect that's why it took so long to dry with a slight "orange peel texture. I only thin Mr. Color with its own proprietary thinner, as I've found other thinners can interfere with the drying process sometimes. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ

Thank you Russ. I'll focus on thinning out the gloss coat more carefully next time. in the meantime, i'll need to do a bit of polishing.
 _GOTOTOP