_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
WD 40 for paint removing
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 459 Posts
KitMaker Network: 264 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 05:59 AM UTC
Tried to remove some old paint (type unknown) tried pva , oven cleaner acrylic paint thinner, mean green , nothing worked except the oven cleaner the oven cleaner took a lot off but left it in cracks and other hard to reach with a brush areas tried 3-4 times with it and it stopped removing it then I tried some WD 40 well it worked great 2 apps and it removed 99% no damage to plastic and minimul brushing leaves a little white haze in some areas but no damage to plastic paint covers haze with no effect so I will assume that the paint was enamel , saw anothr post about lysol got to try it next
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 06:24 AM UTC
Now all you need to tell us is how you are going to get rid of the WD 40!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 11:25 AM UTC
WD-40 is "God Juice" you can do everything whit it,i think you can cure also Malaria and the Black Plague with it,does not exist something you cant do with WD-40...a legend say that WD-40 come from the Fountain of Youth...no BS!!...
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 05:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WD-40 is "God Juice" you can do everything whit it,i think you can cure also Malaria and the Black Plague with it,does not exist something you cant do with WD-40...a legend say that WD-40 come from the Fountain of Youth...no BS!!...

They say you can clean a toilet with it too. But if you need to clean your toilet with WD-40 you might need to see a doctor.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They say you can clean a toilet with it too. But if you need to clean your toilet with WD-40 you might need to see a doctor.

No you don’t need a doctor if you have WD-40 just drink it and you are good as new!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No you don’t need a doctor if you have WD-40 just drink it and you are good as new!

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
At the rate this thread is going, a Chuck Norris reference is bound to appear.

Oh dang - one just did!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At the rate this thread is going, a Chuck Norris reference is bound to appear.

Oh dang - one just did!

Chuck Norris uses WD-40 as aftershave.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 11:46 PM UTC
some people say...Chuck Norris Sweat is actually the main ingredient of WD-40 with a drop or two of John Wayne tears...
Owengate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"some people say...Chuck Norris Sweat is actually the main ingredient of WD-40 with a drop or two of John Wayne tears..."

That's actually a good way to put it.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 02:04 AM UTC
Just to be a little serious here, WD40 was developed in the early 1950s and used by Convair to treat the outer layers of the Atlas missile from oxidizing. The outer skin of the missile also served as the walls of the fuel tanks, and were susceptible to corrosion. The fuel tanks were continuously pressurized with nitrogen on the inside to keep them from collapsing, but even a tiny leak would have been catastrophic. The WD stands for “water displacement, formula 40”. Just thought you’d like to know that Chuck Norris and John Wayne have nothing to do with developing WD40, but it is a side benefit of the US space program.
VR, Russ
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks Russ, but are you sure it wasn't part of the benefits we got from Men In Black? Like Velcro...

I didn't even think about it as a surface rust inhibitor, but it makes sense on all those shiny bare-metal rockets. Wonder how many cans it took to spray a whole Atlas rocket? More or less than it took to get my old Capri's carburettor to un-stick?

Gotta say, I've had cars that seemed to run on pure WD40, given how much I had to use on them during repairs. Amazing stuff...
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
Cleaning weapons after a month at YFC with volcanic ash in everything usually involved copious amounts of water, compressed air and WD40 to flush the water out of trigger mechanisms. Wasn't Army approved but volcanic ash was a b.tch to get rid of.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to be a little serious here, WD40 was developed in the early 1950s and used by Convair to treat the outer layers of the Atlas missile from oxidizing. The outer skin of the missile also served as the walls of the fuel tanks, and were susceptible to corrosion. The fuel tanks were continuously pressurized with nitrogen on the inside to keep them from collapsing, but even a tiny leak would have been catastrophic. The WD stands for “water displacement, formula 40”. Just thought you’d like to know that Chuck Norris and John Wayne have nothing to do with developing WD40, but it is a side benefit of the US space program.
VR, Russ

FAKE NEWS.... ....Everybody knows WD-40 means Wild Demon the name Chuck give to his favorite flying-Kick and 40 is the time in milliseconds before you Die...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 10:41 AM UTC
Yeah, I figured some folks would think I was a “stick in the mud” for introducing some fake reality into this discussion. I get that a lot, and am frequently told we Modelers are known for our “creativity and imagination”. Along those lines, I heard it was really fuel from a Corellian battlecruiser crashed in the Himalayas and recovered by Bigfoot, brought to us courtesy of the Men in Black.🤪
VR, Russ
Removed by original poster on 07/09/19 - 00:56:02 (GMT).
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now all you need to tell us is how you are going to get rid of the WD 40!

Mean green is your friend cleans it right up,
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 01:43 PM UTC
If you are removing acrylic paint, use rubbing alcohol. Let the part submerge in the alcohol for an hour and it will melt right off. I used this to repaint a Gunpla easily 5 different times. Use 70% though. you can also use 91% but be more careful.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2019 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are removing acrylic paint, use rubbing alcohol. Let the part submerge in the alcohol for an hour and it will melt right off. I used this to repaint a Gunpla easily 5 different times. Use 70% though. you can also use 91% but be more careful.

Yeah works good on acrylic unless its sealed , mean green also works on acrylic
Jager52
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 - 08:02 AM UTC
If your car gets tar globs on it, along the lower fenders and rocker panels, spray it with WD40 and just wipe the tar off. The paint is not affected in any way. Job done.
Jager
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 12,719 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 09:25 AM UTC
You WD-40 lovers probably know this t-shirt design :

;)

H.P.
tankerken6011
Visit this Community