_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Glue
M48USMCTanker
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 - 11:10 AM UTC
Can any one recommend a good liquid glue for plastic model kits?
It seems Testors Cement for Plastics does not work (it used to). I have had to use Super Glue and I don't like it. I think Acetone or MEK might work, but I don't like the smell. Any ideals.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 - 11:20 AM UTC
I like Tamiya extra thin, in the bottle with the green cap. Has worked on every type of plastic I have encountered. It can be found at Hobby Lobby as well as other model shops, if you are lucky enough to still have one around. The brush is a very fine tip which makes application easy. The square bottle doesn't tip as easily as others.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 - 11:45 AM UTC
depend on "what and how" I have always nex to me MEK (in a old Tamiya green cap bottle), Tamiya extra-thin green cap or Revell Contacta professional.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like Tamiya extra thin, in the bottle with the green cap...

this is also my "go-to" . I use the orange top hex bottle too when I need more time or can add glue to the inside of a part.

super glue isn't for plastic to plastic adhesion, but works well for resin, photo etch, or anything TO plastic.

for clear plastic parts, I like micro- krystal klear.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 - 12:42 PM UTC
I also like Tamiya “green cap” thin cement. But I think Hobby Lobby also carries an excellent liquid cement (similar to my favorite Walther’s Pro-weld). The cement I’m referring to at HL is made by Flexi-file. It comes in a larger glass bottle which has a protective plastic case—a bit larger than a plastic pill/medicine bottle. Hobbytown, HL, and most other hobby shops carry Tamiya.
VR, Russ
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 11:26 PM UTC
I currently use the Revell glue's. Contacte Proffesional isn't something that I like very much. The needle is clogged regularly. And making it work again is often a pain if you ask me. Would recommend Contacta Liquid. Has a lid with a brush to apply the glue. Really like it, because it works just fine for me.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 12:00 AM UTC
I prefer Tamiya Extra Thin
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 12:01 PM UTC
Tamiya extra thin green bottle for normal plastics
Tamiya cement in the orange bottle for harder plastics, it's kind of a gel type so it doesn't evaporate as fast so it will work on plastic longer.
Micro Weld for softer, thinner plastic, not as aggressive as solvent based cements.

And of course superglue, both thin and gel type.

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I currently use the Revell glue's. Contacte Proffesional isn't something that I like very much. The needle is clogged regularly. And making it work again is often a pain if you ask me. Would recommend Contacta Liquid. Has a lid with a brush to apply the glue. Really like it, because it works just fine for me.

you can clean the needle in 30sec. by burning the glue with a lighter...but before take the needle out the bottle!...
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I store it with a wire bent at the tip (like the shape of 1) inside the needle, never had a problem.
I like this glue for slower setting, also use MEK when needed.

As for the original question, Tamiya sells also a Limonene glue that smells better but have heard it is not so strong as green cap one:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87113limonene_cement/index.htm
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can any one recommend a good liquid glue for plastic model kits?
It seems Testors Cement for Plastics does not work (it used to). I have had to use Super Glue and I don't like it. I think Acetone or MEK might work, but I don't like the smell. Any ideals.

I take it you're just starting out in building plastic models. Superglue is not really intended for the type of plastic-to-plastic joins found in model kits. And the Testor's cement you're speaking of is likely the black bottle type which is a limonene base, making it safer for kids, but problematic for joining plastics. I recommend heading over to Hobby Lobby (I see you're in Alabama) and picking up a bottle of Flexi-File liquid glue, which is usually sold in their model building section. It's comes in a glass 2oz. bottle packed inside in a tubular plastic container with foam padding on the inside. It's a very good liquid cement. HL also carries Tamiya green cap thin cement--in some locations. Acetone won't work for the quick joins you're probably after, depending on the plastic. MEK will likely work, but the joins may not be as strong as desired and there are all sorts of health hazards when using MEK. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I store it with a wire bent at the tip (like the shape of 1) inside the needle, never had a problem.
I like this glue for slower setting, also use MEK when needed.

As for the original question, Tamiya sells also a Limonene glue that smells better but have heard it is not so strong as green cap one:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87113limonene_cement/index.htm

Microscale's Micro Weld is like Tamiya's limonene. Smells like citrus, non-toxic but not as strong as solvent based glues.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,742 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 03:12 PM UTC
When I switched over to Tamiya extra thin cement I was amazed at the difference it made building kits. I started with Testers tube glue as a kid. The Tamiya kits would also give you small tubes of glue in their kits (long ago). I then had to live through the lemon scented tube glues that were safer and crappier. My building joy was enhanced when I tried the Testers liquid cement in the black rhombus. I liked it a lot more than tube glue and it had that thin metal tube making glue application much easier and no stringy mess. Life was good until I tried the Tamiya extra thin liquid cement. Wow, now I can zip through a build with little mess. Great stuff.

Now I keep a bottle of solidified super glue around because I need super glue on my photo etch and it always ends up drying in the bottle so If you use super glue I would recommend buying the smallest amount.
 _GOTOTOP