Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Gomer Pyle
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 01:16 PM UTC
I asked about Beetle Bailey. So what do US Marines think of "Gomer Pyle"?
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 03:48 PM UTC
Mixed feelings about Gomer, the reference made to me during my time was in boot camp when after a small mistake at the rifle range, my drill instructor made the comparison that "I made !@@##$ $$## ^%$ Gomer Pyle look like a $#%^^n genius".
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mixed feelings about Gomer, the reference made to me during my time was in boot camp when after a small mistake at the rifle range, my drill instructor made the comparison that "I made !@@##$ $$## ^%$ Gomer Pyle look like a $#%^^n genius".

Funny, Gomer Pyle was clever enough to use Private Skunk to settle the hash of a rival sergeant who was cheating in a competition.
Striker
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 - 01:41 AM UTC
In boot camp we had the same Pyle insults but personally I never liked the show. As a kid when I saw reruns of it I just was annoyed by it. Kind of like Giligan's Island and Lost in Space, although in those two if you "eliminate" the problem you get to go home. Gomer is on in reruns now and the commercials are still annoying.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In boot camp we had the same Pyle insults but personally I never liked the show. As a kid when I saw reruns of it I just was annoyed by it. Kind of like Giligan's Island and Lost in Space, although in those two if you "eliminate" the problem you get to go home. Gomer is on in reruns now and the commercials are still annoying.

I know, the idea was that Gomer Pyle was a "fish out of water" comedy, the way Hogan's Heroes was not really about World War Two, but meant to poke fun at entertainment from that era about the topic. It was the interaction between the main characters that made the show truly work.