_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
"Urban" camo pattern
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hey guys!
I saw a show the other day on Opp. "Urban Warrior". What they did was a sim. of a relief mission in a urban setting after an earthquake in Calf. witch turned into a CQB mission after a angry mob wanted the U.S. forces to go "home." My qusetion is they were wearing a camo pattern I've never seen before. It was a dark grey type pattern, but the odd thing was the black part of the camo was in blocks. Kinda like the topic title box when you post a new topic. Has any one seen this pattern before, and what is it called? Hope everybody had a safe and relaxing 4th. I ate too many brats and burgers (paying for it today). Scott #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC
I recently saw a show on camoflage (History Channel I think). The last segment talked about 'new' camo, Urban being one of them. They briefly showed the process of creating this new pattern. You are absolutely correct - the pattern is more of a 'bitmap' than anything else. (for the non-computer people - picture graph paper with each square is assigned a color. All the squares come together at a distance to represent a picture). They did extensive testing of the pattern in computer simulations.
The result is a very block oriented pattern. The show didn't give it any other name than Urban camoflage. I saw this show within the last month.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC
Is this the same as the new pixel uniforms of the Marines? Just in different colors?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 01:22 AM UTC
A bitmap is made up of pixels, that's the name for each individual square on the graph sheet I used in my example.
Given that I think you're probably right.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
There are "BDUs" that have four shades of gray. in place of the brosn, greens and black. I have seen them worn by Police SWAT and by teenagers. They are sold by places that police/survival gear.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 06:50 AM UTC
Yes, it will be like the new USMC pixel camouflage. They have temperate, desert, urban (coming), jungle (coming).
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hola,
You know, us modelers who does figures will be on a world of poo-poo when those new uniforms are in full issue, and modern figures comes out that wears those uniforms...Be hard to paint small squares...imagine a 1/35th scale figure..........
lol I dont even wanna think about it!!
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hi guys
Does anyone know why their changing the camo patterns? If they are changing the "BDU's" are they going to change armor patterns? I just used to painting camo patterns as it is. I'm thinking waaaaaaaaayyyyyy ahead of myself. Scott
#:-)
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
Thats funny, i wrote something different the world of poo -poo :-) Guess we have a new language filter!!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 11:42 AM UTC
The USMC wants its uniform to be distinctive and different. They even patented the patterns and have the eagle, globe and anchor embroidered into the pocket.
 _GOTOTOP