_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Weathering powders
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
Anyone here use the 'Doc O' Brien's' weathering powders? They're on page 48 of the curent Micro-Mark catalog. Are they worth getting? I've already ordered them... I think. (I place an order, submit it, and find out the e-mail address I gave them is having "issues". They cancel orders when they can't get through by e-mail.. No e-mail confirmation of my order as of yet, so I dunno if I ordered the stuff yet or not. Any suggestions?)
Back to the powders, they're the only ones I know of aside from the Bragdon system (if indeed those are powders) Thanks in advance for any help!

YodaMan
PS, if anyone's noticed my absence, I've actually been working on models while the family is here for the 4th. Gotta protect all the model stuff from my two nephews... AAK! Put down the M60, please!
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
Yodaman
I've almost ordered them a few times. Let us know what you think. And thanks for being the first to spend yer cash on them.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
I never used this brand, because I can't get them in HK. But I use a similar Japanese brand that comes in 7 big bottles. Basicly they are grounded down pastel chalks. Love them. And save a lot of time too.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hey YM, I use the Bragdon set. They are powders and they work great. They are milled with a dry adhesive. Never tried Doc O'Brien.
HTH
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 01:24 PM UTC
Hey Yoda,

OT, but I Haven't seen you around for some time. Been away ?

Sorry I have no experience on the weathering powders..
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:07 AM UTC
Greetings All, I've used both Doc O'Brians and Bragdon powders. I prefer Bragdons as they "stick" better, but I like the variety of color that Doc set have in them. The Graphite is particulaly effective. With Doc's powders you have to apply them heavier then what you might think looks good because when you fix them with Dull Coat of other flat finish you will find they "fade".They mix well with Tamiya thinner for those great looking weathered tracks. I use them a lot and have replaced my set several times. Scott
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi YM....
I use some kind of chalk powder, but I can't remember who made them.... #:-) #:-) I used the powder to weather the panel lines on the F-16 and my Bf109-E4.....

HTH....
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 12:37 AM UTC
Before you buy these, may I recommend Chalk Pastels.
That's what Doc Obriens powders are. I also buy from Micro-Mark,
but you can buy stick chalk pastel's for $5.00 for a set of 12 colors, at
any Art Supply Store. Then you simply grind them into powder using
your exacto knife, and put the powder in containers.
For the $19.95 + S&H that Micro-Mark charges, you can buy
3 set's of pastel's for $15 - which give's you a total of 36 colors, and
you only get 12 colors with Doc's.
FAR MORE WORTH THE $$$ AND THE SAME PRODUCT AS DOC'S.
MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WITH THE CHALK PASTEL SET'S !

- ralph
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 09:16 PM UTC
Well, I've got the powders. (actually, I've had them for about two months now...) I used them on my M41 Bulldog, and they look really good! Easy to apply, easy to wash off, easy to make a model look weathered.
However, as Deaconarty said above, the powders do fade a bit when covered with flat coat. Not that hard of thing to fix....
SEE the results! LOOK at Yoda's finished Bulldog! IT ALL will be seen in Yoda's Hut at or before 4PM CDT... stay tuned!

YodaMan
PS The link to Yoda's Hut is down here... V
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
Howdy all,

I've used pastels (prefer to grind and mix the colours myself, kinda like Starbuck's ). I have been looking into using true pigment powders myself. This is the actual pigmentation powders used to make the paints you use. So the colourization is 100%, as opposed to about a 26% ratio or so for your standard acrylics, and about 70-80% for your satndard W&N oils.

Anyone else?

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy all,

I've used pastels (prefer to grind and mix the colours myself, kinda like Starbuck's ). I have been looking into using true pigment powders myself. This is the actual pigmentation powders used to make the paints you use. So the colourization is 100%, as opposed to about a 26% ratio or so for your standard acrylics, and about 70-80% for your satndard W&N oils.

Anyone else?

Tread.

I've been thinking about that too Tread - just haven't tried it yet. Do you have a source for getting the true pigment powders?

Gunnie
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
I noticed recently on the Micro-Mark site they are having a sale on the weathering powders. The bottles of powder look pretty big in the pictures, does anyone that may have used both have an opinion on whether you would get more in the powder, or by buying alot of pastels? Always looking for the most bang for the buck.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I noticed recently on the Micro-Mark site they are having a sale on the weathering powders. The bottles of powder look pretty big in the pictures, does anyone that may have used both have an opinion on whether you would get more in the powder, or by buying alot of pastels?

If you're looking to get more for your money, I must quote ScreaminEagle

Quoted Text

For the $19.95 + S&H that Micro-Mark charges, you can buy
3 set's of pastel's for $15 - which give's you a total of 36 colors, and
you only get 12 colors with Doc's.
FAR MORE WORTH THE $$$ AND THE SAME PRODUCT AS DOC'S.
MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WITH THE CHALK PASTEL SET'S !

He says it nicely! :-) But, I do like Doc's powders... maybe because they're my first set!

YodaMan
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC
I was in Michaels craft store and bought a set of 4 earth tone colors for $2 in stick form. I havn't tried them out yet but will soon with my bulldog also. I also got some instant rust stuff that works awsome. you put on the liquid metal stuff and when its dry you put on oxidizer and you get instant rust, the real thing. Anyway, there are a lot of neat things in michaels to check out including the pastel chalks
 _GOTOTOP