Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Can you ride a bike?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 12:40 AM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0
This guy un-learned it .....
/ Robin
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC
This is very interesting. I spend a lot of time training other people, much of it remedial. It doesn't take much to make any basic operation work backwards with "improvements" and then the geniuses who thought it up can't understand why no one gets it. Same for introducing new ideas that go against old practices. Thank you for sharing.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 05:01 AM UTC
How do most people learn to ride a bike? Training wheels to hold you stable while you learn to pedal an steer. If he had put on training wheels while he re-trained his mind on the controls I bet it would have just taken a few hours to learn.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do most people learn to ride a bike? Training wheels to hold you stable while you learn to pedal an steer. If he had put on training wheels while he re-trained his mind on the controls I bet it would have just taken a few hours to learn.

I saw a funny sight from my bedroom window many years ago.
There was an open space with some grass on it and a recently built bike & pedestrian walkway. The walkway wasn't sloped correctly so there was large puddle in the middle of when it had rained. So this mother comes cycling slowly with her young son on a kiddy bike with support wheels. He was the same as most other kids so when mummy cycled around the big puddle he went straight through the middle of it. The "lake" was 6-7 foot wide and 10-15 feet long. Sonny boy got to the middle where the water was maybe 2 - 3 inches deep.
Then he got into trouble .....
The support wheels were adjusted so that they were always or nearly always in contact with the ground. At the center of the puddle the concavity of the surface caused the support wheels to lift the rear wheel of the bike off the ground.

I heard his mother calling to him to get moving and hurry up, that's why I looked out the window (nosy s-o-b that I am).
He was pedalling like crazy, the rear wheel was spinning and sending a plume of water into the air but he and the bike wasn't going anywhere. His mother had to come back and pull him out of there ....

It took me about half an hour to an hour to learn bicycling (basic skill only ...) without those silly wheels.
My eldest daughter learned in an hour or so, no support wheels.
To be honest I think those support wheels are more of a nuisance anyway.
The problem with the backwards handle bar is that it goes against our normal instincts when moving. We tend to lean into the curve but with the backwards handle we have to move the hands the wrong way.

Someone told me that when starting a turn we actually turn the handle the wrong way which causes the bike to start "falling" into the turn and then we catch the fall by turning the handle the right way and steer through the curve and get the bike balanced again. Don't know if this is true, haven't done measurements .... If it is true it would really get f****ed up with the backwards handle since it would require forgetting and relearning an unconscious action.
It is not just the action of turning a handle, it goes against our balance system and that is hard wired deep in the brain and muscles.

The steering system in the CV90 is rigged so that when reversing the control system is reversed. It behaves as if the driver had turned backwards and was driving "forward".
Instead of a rear view mirror the driver is looking into a screen showing the reversing camera and drives "forward" into the image seen on the screen. Compare it to reversing car around a corner vs turning the whole car 180 degrees and driving forwards in the other direction. If the steering wheel was hard to the left when going forward it would now be hard to the right when driving the other way.

/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC
I learned to ride a bike without training wheels too. Mom told me she'd buy me a bike as soon as I learned to ride so I "borrowed" my sisters bike and a couple of hours later I had destroyed my toughskins jeans and my sisters bike but I knew how to ride so mom took me to get a new bike. She also had to get my sister one and mom got an exchange on the toughskin jeans. The old sales pitch was if your kid could destroy these jeans they'd replace them at no cost. To bad she couldn't get a deal like that on bikes because I could destroy a bike in a day.