_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Was a perfect scale model kit ever made?
Bugbrains
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC
Of the plastic models I've seen the best so far is the Tichy (formerly Gould) 120 Crane in HO scale. It is very detailed and the fit is absolutely great. Wonderful engineering regarding sprue placement and assembly sequencing. No seams or injection marks to hide!

PB
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
I'd go with three in no particular order. They're the Accurate Miniatures TBM and SBD, and the Tamiya P-47s. Of course, if you're including the builder, I can destroy one of these with one squirt of glue.

-Charlie
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
hehe,. good thread, Pawel, obviously you have a lot of experiences with Polystyrene injection process to understand the limitation of the plastic industry especially when their mold are mostly QC-7 with an RC16/8 grade.Nice.

Actually there are a couple near - perfect kit out there, and if you don't mind the hoard of the German Armor nitpickers, you can do the following, they are awesome:

1. Tristar Pz 1 series
2. Tasca Luchs
3. Tamiya FAMO
4. DML Hornisse/Hummel

They all near-perfect as far as I can tell.

Oh, and of course, the Tamiya Panther Ausf A #:-)
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:29 PM UTC
I think there are many near-perfect kits, but never has been and probably never will be a "perfect" kit. It's hard to quantify "perfect". Inevitably someone will find something miniscule and likely ridiculous that's inaccurate with a kit. I keep my mouth shut on such things though, mainly because I'm not an expert in anything and don't want to sound like a nitpicker
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
Just finished the Tasca 'Luchs'. This kit has to be the best engineered, most near perfect one I've ever built.

Vinnie
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
Now this Italeri Leopard II it didn't come up to your standards on pin marks or sink marks, but all the same I was able to fix them easy enough with a little help from the friends here at armorama, but now the fit.
Now the fit does fill in, at first it took quite a bit of figuring on how to put it together. After I figured out how to put the sides on, then scoth tape them on the out side, then they lined up perfecty so I could glue them on the inside, and if anybody has ever put one of these Italeri Leopard II together then they know what I'm talking about.
At first it seems like six hands and all the putty in the world won't put this humpty dumpty together again, but like I said after I taped the sides on the outside, it fell together, and I put the top of the hull to the bottom and to my surprize, not even the tinniest gap.
Now that is one workmanship in my book. When I was trying to figure out how to hold it while I glued it, I figured it would never turn out, and at that time I figured no way this could be meant for children to put together. It made me do a lot of thinking. But then again I might be slow, and should of rode the short bus to school.
 _GOTOTOP