_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Handling Photoetch Pieces
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:38 PM UTC
This has probably been asked before but what is the easiest way to handle those teenie-tiny pieces that you get in photoetch? I've tried my fingers (nah, didn't work too well! I suffer from fat fingers!), a knife blade to move them around (semi-successful and has it's uses) and a small piece of tape on the end of a toothpick (better).
I was wondering how do you handle those microscopic pieces? (I find that using a magnifying glass really helps to be able to see them.) I may be going bald but this is really starting to make me pull it out!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:43 PM UTC
I have used a toothpick to move themm around as well, but I have a very small pair of self locking tweezers the are shaped to a point at the end. Plus a regular set of tweezers. Depending on where I am having to place the part depends on the set I use.. Also have used Blue tack on the end of a toothpick to hold a piece also until it is glued..

Paul
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:08 PM UTC
I use mainly 2 things: a pair of long nosed, non gripped pliers an a verry pointuy noised cand curved ended tweezers. Works like a breeze
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:29 PM UTC
I Think the best tool for folding etched parts is a good-quality metal caliper. I have used my father's caliper, and it's great for folding the microscopic parts. It's best to buy a good caliper with a tightening screw, it's quite essential to be able to control how tigh the grip is.
I also use tweezers and my fingers (quite obvious...)
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:41 PM UTC
Just like what Warlock said, a needle nosed self-locking tweezers & the regular ones would be useful in handling PE parts. A square piece of glass is useful to work PE parts on. It is a good cutting board & could serve as a pallette for CA glue.
 _GOTOTOP