_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
CID Panel Dimensions
Zelda
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 04:51 PM UTC
I need some information about CID (Combat Identification) Panel that is used by the US forces to avoid friendly fire during combat.

Here are the dimensions that I need; they are "W", "H", and "T" as indicated in the picture at http://photos.yahoo.com/alspix2099 inside "REFERENCE" folder.

Please indicate the dimensions in METRIC (cm, mm)

Thanks,
Aripin
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 08:44 PM UTC
Here's some info I found for you;

====================================
VS17 Panel
b. VS-17 Marker Panel Aerial. The VS-17 marker panel (NSN: 8345-00-174-6865) is a two-sided panel, 2 feet wide by 6 feet long. One side is fluorescent orange, sometimes referred to as international orange, and the other side is cerise, commonly referred to as red. It has six tie-down points used to attach the panel to stakes. It also has three snap fasteners on the short ends in the stow pocket. It should be folded up so that the olive drab green is showing. The color of the panel used should be the one that best contrasts with the surrounding area.

==================================
Signals
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC
I think he's talking about the thermal panels that are louvered and give gunners a "cold spot" in the thermal sights. I never thought to take dimensions of them when we were installing them back in the Cav. I bet the guys still riding steel like Red4 and a couple of others may have them hanging off the sides of their rides.

I do miss the days where the rubber meets the road. Commanding tanks was such a blast. At least I'm still in command and have tanks and other vehicles around me.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
That's what I was able to fine at the General Dennis J. Reimer Training and Doctrine Digital Library . There have been question about the VS panels before so now we have some info.

Might try TACOM and se if there is any info.
Zelda
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think he's talking about the thermal panels that are louvered and give gunners a "cold spot" in the thermal sights. I never thought to take dimensions of them when we were installing them back in the Cav.

Yes you are right, Sabot! And I have seen some of them attached to Humvee's front doors (both sides) with cut / opening to accomodate Humvee's door handle.

Do you think you can help me with the information? Some detail shots perhaps

BTW, since you are in the Army, does this CID Panel helps during operation?

Thanks in advance,
Aripin
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 11:17 AM UTC
I don't have any at my site, all my equipment is dedicated to training mechanics. IIRC, at closer ranges it is effective (less than 1800-2000m) but at extreme ranges (2000m+) it doesn't do a whole heck of a lot of good. It was the target engagements at 3000m+ that were giving us problems with fratricide.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
I know it's an old thread, but figured I could help with it, somewhat. Give me an e-mail at [email protected], and I will send you one back with what you need. The CIP panels work alright, like Sabot said, though, long range ID is sketchy with ANY vehicle, even with one with a small off color dot. There are kits out there for almost every major piece of equipment, from HUMVEEs(several different kits for that one), Brads, tanks, Howitzers, even the M9 ACE. With the Abrams kit, it is a 5 piece kit, with three vertical mounted boards and two flat panels. The vertical boards are mounted on the sides and the rear, and the flat panels are mounted on the front of the glacis of the turret. Side and rear are mounted with hooks and straps to the bustle rack, while the flat panels are mounted with velcro(yes, velcro- works pretty good too). There is an on side and an off side of all CIP panels. The on side is covered in reverse polarity tape, and on an old set actually looks like aluminum foil from the paint coming off. Legend Productions make a decent looking set in 1/35 scale, in resin, with their M1 goodies kits, and the flat panel is easily replicated from card stock. With other vehicles, the angled panels are just shorter versions, or even slightly chopped versions of the same thing, to fit the vehicles.
 _GOTOTOP