_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling books from the Military Book Club
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC
I got a flyer today trying to tempt me into rejoining the Military Book Club. This one was particularly interesting because it offers the following Osprey books for only 50¢:

Modeling the M3/M5 Stuart
Modeling the F-4 Phantom II
US Army Fighter Modeling

Going to mail off the card Moday.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
I read the same thing is some magazine but I didn't understand what the offer was like, I mean, I could get four books for a like 50 cents each, it was too hard to believe. Can you explain me a little how is it?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hi. I do believe that once signing up you have to buy so many books in a certain length of time, I think 4 or 5 books in 1 or 2 years time. I have belonged to this club for several years now and I can't remember what the stipulations were when I signed up, but for me personally it was not problem fufilling the agreement because they do have some really good military history books from all different eras of history.

Take care, Sgirty
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks sgirty, if it is just like a couple a year, then I will join when I remember where I put that mag.....
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:01 PM UTC
yeah, I just checked and they give you the first four books for 98 cents each and in the next two years you have to buy 4 more books in the next two years, how is that for a deal? and by the way, do they have some nice reference books?
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
I am a member of the club. I really enjoy the books. They have a great selection and their prices usually are reasonable.
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC
I got this letter also. Joined a few years ago, and got some good deals. But I moved and I think I fell off there rolls. ALSO found the osprey site and kill my credit card all the time!

Tracy

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:34 PM UTC
The offer I got to rejoin was to buy four books for $1.99 (total price for 4 books) plus shipping. Then I have to buy 4 more books in the next 2 years which is fairly easy to do.

It also offers a free pocket knife or free fifth book with this offer. You can also buy another book for just $5.99 and reduce your obligation to 3 more books in the next 2 years.

It was a real good deal last time I joined. I bought most of the Osprey modelling compendums as well as the scale modeling books. They also sold the Osprey new vanguard series but in hardback cheaper than Osprey sells the soft cover.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:31 PM UTC
I have been a member off and on since 1980...I fulfill my obligation then resign my membership...they always send you a request to re-join with pretty much the same offer as when you initially join...is that "cheating"?...sometimes they have an offer that enables you to get a friend to join and get two free books for doing so...you just pay for the shipping...at one time, I had well over 100 books...sold some off, but kept all the ones I could use for modeling references...

I found an add in the most recent edition of FSM for the club, but I didn't see "modeling the M3/M5 as a choice... ......I'd like to get that one...oh well...guess I'm still going to join (again) soon...
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC

I'm jealous of you guys.

I have read the deal in FSM and I see the Brits have some similar deals going there......but is Australia NOTHING

And the deals only apply to continental US or UK only so we miss out on them.

Unfortunately there only 20 million of us - not 250 million so the economics are against it ever happening here.

Brian
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
I, too, belong to the book club, and the only drawback I found was that you have to go on their website and constantly decline the book of the month, or they will send it to you whether you want it or not. Other than that, I have enjoyed it. Frankly, though, Amazon offers better deals and prices.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I, too, belong to the book club, and the only drawback I found was that you have to go on their website and constantly decline the book of the month, or they will send it to you whether you want it or not. Other than that, I have enjoyed it. Frankly, though, Amazon offers better deals and prices.

Husky1943,

The last time I was a member, they gave me the option of declining the book of the month either through the monthly mailer they send to you or on line, but once you decide, that's the way you have to keep it I think...did they change it permanently to just declining on the web site?
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
11Charlie,
In my situation, yes. I had to go onto the website and decline the choices of the month, or else I would receive the main choice in the mail. I have to admit that I simply bought up my four book obligation just to get it over with.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:07 PM UTC
would there be a possibility that they enlist overseas members via credit card payment? if some one knows and could link me to them i d appreciate
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
Major Goose? Try this one, www.militarybookclub.co.uk They have a joining deal also, I think it's 5 or 6 free ones (or VERY low cost) then buy 4 over the next two years, I joined about 6 months ago. They also have the Tanks In Detail series.

Vinnie
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks very much , i ll inform u on what happened !!!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:13 PM UTC
i was wondering , the books description over there dont say about number of pages or number of pictures but a brief description of the theme. So how valid are they to a modeller, besides the historical text? has anyone bought specific titles that were good enough to buy ? if you have please tell me ! Thanks

oops finally i found it look at the following :

Terms & Conditions

As part of your club membership we will keep you up to date on the latest books, video and music products and services by email. As a member of The Military & Aviation Book Society, all we ask is that you buy at least a further 4 books in your first year of membership.

Membership is subject to acceptance and we may consult a licensed credit agency that may record the search.
Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
This offer is only available in the UK.
Your introductory parcel is subject to £3.99 postage and packaging.
Please allow up to 28 days for delivery.
One membership per household.

So this nice offer pplies only to the UK . i choosed the books placed the order but then my adress was not in the UK so ....boom ..anyway you lucky Brits !!!!!
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
Sorry about that Major Sir!

vINNIE
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC
Dear Fellow Modelers,

I BEG you. DO NOT JOIN the Military Book Club. I did. Not one order was correct. It was impossible to reach anyone. The substituted books without my permission. They sent the "book of the Month" after I had a written confirmation to suspend my obligations when I was out of the country. Then, I finally "settled" with them on one condition. That they take me off every list t hey have.
So, you got it, they e-mail me constantly.
If you want to get snared, then take your free books, immediately buy the few you are obligated to buy and drop out with a confirmation. They are part of Columbia House and they are constantly identified as a company that does these things.
Watch out for some of the books, too. They are lousy copies of the same pictures, etc you can find elsewhere.
If they have Osprey's Terrain Modeling or some other really good books YOU KNOW, go for it. But, you've been warned by a mad comsumer. Others have had no problem with them. I am the unlucky one to have a file 2" thick. I'll buy at Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc. and be done with it.

Sealhead (Sorry, they have been the worst expereince I have had.)
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:40 PM UTC
I have to agree with STAY AWAY! MBC still, after two years of fighting it, insists I owe them about $80.00 for books I NEVER RECEIVED nor ordered! Again, STAY CLEAR!!!!!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
11charlie I baught Modelling the m3 from amazon,its a good read.Few years ago i was a member of this companies c.d. club nothing but Trouble especially the offer of the month i got out of there real quick, Ive seen their flyer in Military Modelling looks very tempting dont it.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
im a member and have had nothing but good experiences with them,

they even once sent me two of the same book and only charged me for one,
and the best thing is, it was the most expensive book they had in at the time.

it made a great present for my grandad!!!

cheers

joe
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

11charlie I baught Modelling the m3 from amazon,its a good read.Few years ago i was a member of this companies c.d. club nothing but Trouble especially the offer of the month i got out of there real quick, Ive seen their flyer in Military Modelling looks very tempting dont it.

Easy_Co,

Yes, very tempting, but I already have so many "how to" books and numerous aircraft and armor reference books, it's not as tempting as it once was, but I'd still like to get the M3 book....after being active on this site for the last month, I'm not so sure I "need" any of the reference material I have. You all are so helpful, it's amazing! Can I just say...I love you Guys...(NO, not in that way either!!!)....
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:22 PM UTC
With a membership as large as this there are bound to be a few disgruntled customers. It's statistics. I hope people aren't put off though because there are quite a few good deals out there and the more we buy then the more the publishers will see us a worthwhile market, and so more will be published...

Vinnie
mikeli125
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
Mjr goose have a search on amzon they have some very good deals on books like your after, as for the book club I've never had any problems once or twice the bill has been wrong a quick call and its sorted BTW check the discount book shops out most of the books they stock come from the likes of these clubs i've had a few bargins form them that were a lot more expensive in the book club a few months before :-)
 _GOTOTOP