_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
General model discussion.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 02:52 PM UTC
Hey guys, newcomer to the site, been building for a while before taking a break, now I'm finally coming back after too long of a hiatus.

Anyways, I've been wondering a couple of things...

How many projects are most of you working on at one time? I find myself usually overlapping finishing one up and slowly starting the next.

What's your go to online shop other then local hobby shops? I'm lucky to have two nearby and I order through them but I'd like to see what else is out there, especially since I found out VLS and Verlinden are done.

What are the go to model books to look at, back in the day I obsessed over anything Verlinden, then I purchased something that looked good but was rather dissatisfied.

Last thing for now, what are the bee's knees, the cats pajamas in regards to anything new over the last ten years that I may have missed?

That's it, thanks
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 06:49 PM UTC
Where reviews are concerned I have up to 8 on the go at a time, especially where books are concerned.

I still think the KV line of tanks from Trumpeter are the Dogs B"£$%^ks.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi and welcome aboard!

Projects: Too many but not enough, definitely not as often and as fast as I would like

Online shop: Modellbau König, large selection, fast, efficient and reliable. Free shipping in Europe for larger orders so it keeps me from shopping too impulsively (or maybe it tricks me into buying more ...)
https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/en
I only have two local shops (I suppose that 20 minutes with the subway counts as local) but the selection online is wastly superior and it can't get more local than on the top of my desk ...and the post office is only a 5 minute walk away ...

Books? I use them less and less, asking around here on this forum and searching the net is usually a lot more efficient. There are videoclips on Youtube where some modellers do a Show&Tell about their techniques.

The last ten years? Ooohhhh! A LOT has happened since then. In armour modelling we have gotten a bunch of new producers.
The Chinese are very active. 3D-printing is a new method for producing parts or masters for resin casting. I suppose that other areas of modelling have experienced similar changes.

/ Robin
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 12:38 AM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby,for me I only build one at a time,its's not a production line,it's a hobbyy.A couple of times I started a second while waiting for a piece of AM to arrive.But thats it.

I order kits and supplies from

Scalehobbyist
Spruebrothers
Squadron
Sincere Hobby
Freetime hobbies
Dragon usa online

Whoever has what I want at the best prices or the the best sale

And don't overlook Ebay lots of deals to be had.

To me the biggest change in 10 years has been the explosion of just about every kind of AM product uou can want,along with the rise of so many paint and weathering product lines.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 03:50 AM UTC
I noticed that too about the weathering stuff, and that's what I was most excited about, no more shaving off pigments, it was like nails on a chalkboard for me.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 04:26 AM UTC
I am working on two projects at a time. One ship and one car. These are some of my first builds in decades so I am taking it slow.

I always keep an eye open on ebay, FB Marketplace, LetGo and OfferUp. Hobby Lobby with a %40 off coupon never hurts either.

Most of my resources come from the internet, the website and my local library.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am working on two projects at a time. One ship and one car. These are some of my first builds in decades so I am taking it slow.

I always keep an eye open on ebay, FB Marketplace, LetGo and OfferUp. Hobby Lobby with a %40 off coupon never hurts either.

Most of my resources come from the internet, the website and my local library.

I've been meaning to check out my library, I'll maybe do it this weekend.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 04:45 AM UTC
Additional questions are coming to mind for everyone.

What are your favorite threads from this, or any other forum. Whether it's a really good model/diorama/idea, what are your favorite how to's? I've been finding so many online it's hard to distinguish what's the best, specifically painting 1/35th WW2 figures.

I found one where it was a Nashorn and some figures on top of a cobble stone bridge I liked a lot (can't remember where I found it) and that was my go to for figure painting but I can't seem to find it now.

Or any other threads that are your favorite for any reason
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 05:07 AM UTC
1) I usually have 5-7 builds going on at any one time, I build slowly, so these can last two to three years. I am also a member of a local group that builds models for a museum, so occasionally, I'll do a faster build to meet a display requirement.
2) I prefer my LHS, but I do occasionally order from Sprue Brothers which is my "go to" on line store, followed by Squadron. Sprue Brothers has fast, dependable service, which is generally cheaper than most others.
3) To me, the most innovative modeling product in the last few years is the Internet--simply because of the exchange of ideas, techniques and modeling news.
4) my most enjoyable thread on the Kitmaker site has been "Waiting for another deuce and a half". But there are many others. My favorite poster is Robin Nilsson-- -not sure why, perhaps it's his Nordic humor. I especially like his comments regarding how he takes care of spammers-- maybe that's why, as I hate spam!
Welcome back to the hobby!
VR, Russ
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are your favorite threads from this, or any other forum. Whether it's a really good model/diorama/idea, what are your favorite how to's? I've been finding so many online it's hard to distinguish what's the best, specifically painting 1/35th WW2 figures.

I found one where it was a Nashorn and some figures on top of a cobble stone bridge I liked a lot (can't remember where I found it) and that was my go to for figure painting but I can't seem to find it now.

I really enjoy any thread where there is a ton of PE on something really small, like 1/700. To see the detail some people can accomplish is not only inspiring, but also gorgeous.

It inspires me to try new things and try new subjects. I have never weathered any model in my lifetime and now I have an entire drawer in my office with Tamiya weathering powder, oil paints, Tamiya line accent, etc.

I would recommend getting something cheap to build and try it all out on. I found a $7 KGV at HL I try all my weathering on.

Thanks to this site, I also rig my ships with the tiniest lines I have ever worked with.

#EndRant
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1) I usually have 5-7 builds going on at any one time, I build slowly, so these can last two to three years. I am also a member of a local group that builds models for a museum, so occasionally, I'll do a faster build to meet a display requirement.
2) I prefer my LHS, but I do occasionally order from Sprue Brothers which is my "go to" on line store, followed by Squadron. Sprue Brothers has fast, dependable service, which is generally cheaper than most others.
3) To me, the most innovative modeling product in the last few years is the Internet--simply because of the exchange of ideas, techniques and modeling news.
4) my most enjoyable thread on the Kitmaker site has been "Waiting for another deuce and a half". But there are many others. My favorite poster is Robin Nilsson-- -not sure why, perhaps it's his Nordic humor. I especially like his comments regarding how he takes care of spammers-- maybe that's why, as I hate spam!
Welcome back to the hobby!
VR, Russ

Totally agree with the internet, heck that's why we are talking!

Edit: On the downside of the internet there's so much! I guess the saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" applies here, I'm finding multiple ways to achieve the same effect or task, sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the information that's out there.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I really enjoy any thread where there is a ton of PE on something really small, like 1/700. To see the detail some people can accomplish is not only inspiring, but also gorgeous.

It inspires me to try new things and try new subjects. I have never weathered any model in my lifetime and now I have an entire drawer in my office with Tamiya weathering powder, oil paints, Tamiya line accent, etc.

I would recommend getting something cheap to build and try it all out on. I found a $7 KGV at HL I try all my weathering on.

Thanks to this site, I also rig my ships with the tiniest lines I have ever worked with.

#EndRant

Fortunately I kept all my kits from years ago, so I use the old ones I built to practice, I've also been fortunate to have an old friend who's retiring from the hobby handing down to me a lot of his kits.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 11:06 AM UTC
I have 4 models going right now, although one is restart that sat on the shelf of doom for years and another is back-burnered for now. I was up to 7 around Christmas. Now trying to finish these out before starting another.

As for on-line shopping, it depends on what I want and who has the best price. Mainstays are:
Scalehobbyist (US)
HobbyLink Japan (Japan)
Easyhobby (Hong Kong)
Spot Model (Spain)
eBay

Secondary suppliers:
Spruebrothers (US)
Squadron (US)
Hannants (UK)
Grand Prix Models (UK)
Jadar (Poland)

BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 157 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
I was in a similar situation two years ago....13 year hiatus.
My stash was extensive but somewhat outdated.

I had at least a dozen armor and aircraft kits in work at that time. When I came back into it, I had to focus on the basics to sharpen my skills again. I started with building first, so I ended up starting a ton of kits (most were modern tooled kits). I have well over 30 kits in work right now because of this. I'm now working through that backlog to actually finish some builds. Between group builds and all the new fancy kits coming out, that's hard to do.

I've done a ton of business with sprue brothers, but I also use lots-of-models, kitlinx, hobbyworld-usa.com, and Chinese sellers on ebay.

For advancements, I would say modern tooled kits that virtually eliminate the need for aftermarket have really changed the hobby. Aftermarket stuff back in the early 2000's is what drove me to AMS and eventually burned me out. Now, I'm mostly focused on armor and if I buy any aftermarket, it's only resin wheels or tracks.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was in a similar situation two years ago....13 year hiatus.
My stash was extensive but somewhat outdated.

I had at least a dozen armor and aircraft kits in work at that time. When I came back into it, I had to focus on the basics to sharpen my skills again. I started with building first, so I ended up starting a ton of kits (most were modern tooled kits). I have well over 30 kits in work right now because of this. I'm now working through that backlog to actually finish some builds. Between group builds and all the new fancy kits coming out, that's hard to do.

I've done a ton of business with sprue brothers, but I also use lots-of-models, kitlinx, hobbyworld-usa.com, and Chinese sellers on ebay.

For advancements, I would say modern tooled kits that virtually eliminate the need for aftermarket have really changed the hobby. Aftermarket stuff back in the early 2000's is what drove me to AMS and eventually burned me out. Now, I'm mostly focused on armor and if I buy any aftermarket, it's only resin wheels or tracks.

What exactly do you mean when you say tooled kit, this term is new to me.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 08:51 AM UTC
Most companies now use something called slide mold technology,it allows for greater detail.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... modern tooled kits that virtually eliminate the need for aftermarket have really changed the hobby. ...

What exactly do you mean when you say tooled kit, this term is new to me.

Modern tooling vs the old fashioned way of making tools.
Slide molding technology is one aspect but that has actually been around for quite some time (Tamiya single piece tank hulls from the early seventies for instance).

The real change came with computer aided design.
Design the whole model in the computer, play around with the parts. Break the parts into moldable pieces, do the sprue layout, simulate the molding process to find possible process problems, redo the layout, modify parts, simulate again until satisfied. Doing this without the assistance of powerful computers takes an awful time. Simulating the molding process was not possible so real molds had to be manufactured, tested and then possibly discarded.

Then comes the next step. In the old days a moldmaker machined the molds using machine tools and then handheld tools to finish the small details and polish the whole thing.
This takes quite some time.
In comes EDM (Electric Discharge Machining).
Stick a block of metal in the machine, download the mold design, start the machine and watch (or go home for the night) while the machine works its magic.
EDM can produce molds a LOT faster than a human, with less errors (the mold will match the "blueprints" without human errors) and possibly also with finer details.

The skill and expertise, call it knowledge base, among toolmakers/tooldesigners has also increased.
The part that is still slow is the gathering of shape data,
measuring a real object to start scaling down from but there are magic tools for that as well. With 3D-scanning it is possible to get shape data that can be fed into the kit design process. There is still a lot of work but the basic measurements are already there.
There has been an explosion of technology and a HUGE increase in new kits. In the 80'ies Tamiya and Italeri announced maybe two or three new 1/35 kits each year.
Now we have many manufacturers and it feels as if they announce a few kits each every month (exaggeration I know)
Take a look in the 'News' section and see what happens in just one or two months.
Tamiya has close to 300 more or less different products in 1/35 but some of those are accessories or different only by adding new decals or some accessories or figures. Tamiya has been making 1/35 kits for nearly 50 years.
Trumpeter turned up somewhere around 1997/1998 or so and in the last twenty years they have created close to 500 1/35 products.
A Tamiya Pz IV from the early seventies had maybe 150 to 200 parts, tank kits now can have up to 1000 parts or more.
There has been a HUGE change in the hobby.

Kits that would have been economically impossible to produce 30 years ago using the old methods are now more or less every day news.

I am convinced that aircraft and ship modelling has seen similar changes as 1/35.
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP