_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
3D printing
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 459 Posts
KitMaker Network: 264 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 02:32 PM UTC
would it be possable to 3D print T55 light guards in 1/35 scale
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 11:12 PM UTC
Thru Shapeways, the thinnest I can get to pass on a regular basis is .013/.033mm thick. I'm not familiar with the T55 guards to know how thick/thin they are.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 05:43 AM UTC
A friend of mine is heavy into 3D printing, he designs them for a company that builds kits for home printing and they've gotten better over the years. So I showed him what you wanted and for thin, round "rods" it would be printed in layers, the first layer narrow, 2nd layer wider, 3rd layer wider still. This goes on until you reach the widest an it starts going in reverse next layer narrow, next more narrow and so on. What you are left with is a stack of stepped layers, not a truly round rod. I've tried to sand and fill round objects but the material is difficult to sand, putty either didn't stick to it or melted it.

Perhaps come up with a printed jig to help bend the wires or plastic rods and hold them securely while soldering or gluing them together.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 459 Posts
KitMaker Network: 264 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 07:33 AM UTC
Perhaps come up with a printed jig to help bend the wires or plastic rods and hold them securely while soldering or gluing them together.

that sounds good but then again I cant solder anything except ant hills
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 12:10 PM UTC
Nobody said you have make the guards out of wire. Tho you should learn to soldier, just takes practice. Stretch some sprue, or get some plastic rod and bend it into shape and see if you can achieve the look your going for. I've made replacement parts (damn M60 bustle racks) out of stretched sprue but never thought of making light guards.

Get creative.
 _GOTOTOP