_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Reference help for Stalingrad idea
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 02:51 AM UTC
I have a Mark III H, and a T34/76 '42 production that I wanna use in a Stalingrad Dio. I'm just starting to get into this type of research so I apologise of this is easy enough information to find.

And in regards to the Russians, is there a good source for the type of markings you'd see on T34s during the battle?
DrChopp
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 10:33 AM UTC
Its a tough one, as vehicles were swapped out so fast they often went into battle with no markings, or incorrect markings. This is further compounded by the Russians not having as strict a marking method as say, the Germans. On top of that is Russian record keeping being rather patchy, and many records being destroyed in the ensuing years.

I'm currently doing an eastern front dio too, with a T-34/76 and came up against the same obstacle. The books I used were "T-34/76 Medium Tank 1941 - 45" by Steven J. Zaloga and "T-34" by Anthony Tucker-Jones.
While these two books didn't teach me a definitive way of marking T-34s, they did make me confident that unless I was emulating a specific vehicle for which there is photographic or documentary evidence, then I could put almost any numbers on there, and if in doubt, leave it blank- it seems there were far more unmarked vehicles than marked on the eastern front.
pathfinder14
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 03:54 PM UTC
That's super helpful, thanks!
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a Mark III H, and a T34/76 '42 production that I wanna use in a Stalingrad Dio. I'm just starting to get into this type of research so I apologise of this is easy enough information to find.

And in regards to the Russians, is there a good source for the type of markings you'd see on T34s during the battle?

Another thing you could try to research, is the order of battle at Stalingrad, that is, find out what units were involved (and maybe even find out when they were there!), and from there, conjure up some markings for your vehicles.

Good luck on your dio! I hope you're able to post some pix either here, or on Armorama, or wherever. Regardless of where you post, I hope you let everyone here know!

Tim
 _GOTOTOP