_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The Future of Modelling?
SteveAndrews
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hi folks,

It's the time of year when we traditionally look forward and think about the future (at least in my part of the world).

So, here I am wondering what the future holds for us modellers? A little research revealed that the first plastic kit was produced in 1936 by Frog in the UK. That makes our hobby 83 years old. Check this out to look back before we think forwards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_model

So, what is in our future, and more importantly what do we want in our future? How about 3D printed kits that you can scale yourself, and maybe colour before they are even made? How about environmentally safe paints that lay down absolutely perfectly every time, or an airbrush that never clogs? Feeling ambitious, and want miniature nano-engineered working engines in 1/32 scale? Maybe you just want our hobby to survive in an an age of virtual everything?

Me? I'd love a great range of 1/25 scale armour kits in an environmentally friendly medium, and a customer lobby group to influence what the big manufacturers do. Oh, and I'd just like to finish the kit I started last year :-)

What's on your wish list?

Happy 2019 and beyond,

Steve.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 10:29 PM UTC
A BIG walk in closet with built in magic storage space management so that whenever I buy a new kit it magically makes room for two more and when I take one out to build it makes space for four more.
Whenever my wife opens the door it just shows a few kits and a lot of her and the familys stuff neatly stacked on tidy shelves.
That is my dream .....

/ Robin
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 01:28 AM UTC
I'm thinking/hoping that the future is bright for our hobby. With all the new manufacturers popping up with well designed (for the most part) kits and the new, fresh ideas for their releases. I've seen kits released over the last few years of subjects I never knew existed. And the kits with interiors, WOW !
I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but based on my club, SWAMPS, the buyers & builders are an older bunch for the most part. How is it in Europe and Asia and "Down Under", same thing or are they a younger bunch ? The manufacturers must feel that there is a bright future to pour all the money and research into something where stateside our builders are getting old. Burn brightly then flare out ?
Have a good weekend all !
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking/hoping that the future is bright for our hobby. With all the new manufacturers popping up with well designed (for the most part) kits and the new, fresh ideas for their releases. I've seen kits released over the last few years of subjects I never knew existed. And the kits with interiors, WOW !
I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but based on my club, SWAMPS, the buyers & builders are an older bunch for the most part. How is it in Europe and Asia and "Down Under", same thing or are they a younger bunch ? The manufacturers must feel that there is a bright future to pour all the money and research into something where stateside our builders are getting old. Burn brightly then flare out ?
Have a good weekend all !

Before I left Facebook I poked around a few modeling groups and there were many younger modelers. Perhaps newer/younger modelers don't do the club's like older modelers do. A lot of clubs predate the internet and so do their members.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 09:26 AM UTC
I'm continually surprised at the number of folks who are joining our hobby everyday, some have been modeling for years, but just haven't been "social" modelers. Others are brand new. I was at our local group meeting a few months back, and two new folks appeared-- one was a brand new modeler who had seen other modeler's work at one of our public shows, and become intrigued. The other had been modeling for years but wasn't aware there were other adult Modelers in his area. So I think our hobby is actually growing and healthy. If it wasn't, why would so many new releases be coming out almost daily? I therefore think the future is bright. As for me-- I'm with Robin here, I'd like a "magic"storage and display area, that way I wouldn't have to "hide" all my unbuilt kits in various nooks and crannies around the house. One day I'm going to be to old enough to forget where they are (I'm almost there now!) However, the upside of "hiding" my kits is every once in a while, I'll discover one I'd forgotten about, and it's like Christmas or my Birthday all over again! 😆
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm continually surprised at the number of folks who are joining our hobby everyday, some have been modeling for years, but just haven't been "social" modelers. Others are brand new. I was at our local group meeting a few months back, and two new folks appeared-- one was a brand new modeler who had seen other modeler's work at one of our public shows, and become intrigued. The other had been modeling for years but wasn't aware there were other adult Modelers in his area. So I think our hobby is actually growing and healthy. If it wasn't, why would so many new releases be coming out almost daily? I therefore think the future is bright. As for me-- I'm with Robin here, I'd like a "magic"storage and display area, that way I wouldn't have to "hide" all my unbuilt kits in various nooks and crannies around the house. One day I'm going to be to old enough to forget where they are (I'm almost there now!) However, the upside of "hiding" my kits is every once in a while, I'll discover one I'd forgotten about, and it's like Christmas or my Birthday all over again! 😆
VR, Russ

I have them all listed in an Excel-sheet.
Identity nr, manufacturer, description, aftermarket stuff, location et.c.
When I see something that interests me I check the register first to make sure I don't have it already. This has stopped me from getting something in a hurry at a sale only to discover I already had it. Finding a kit becomes a lot easier since I know exactly where it is, even if it is hidden behind other kits or stored in a different box (some boxes are too flimsy to protect the contents properly).
/ Robin
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 04:28 PM UTC
I see the future of modelling getting more precise and technical. Kits will have more PE and a higher parts count. Subjects hitherto unthought of in plastic will come to fruition, as well as multiple versions. Perhaps with the gaming world we will get younger people involved.
SteveAndrews
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 10:16 AM UTC
Maybe we need a Stashbot, to keep our kits in order?

I have a 'one in, one out' rule. I don't let myself buy a new kit until I've finished one. That way I'll die with my stash the same size its is now :-)

Maybe we need a model museum too, to keep the past alive.

Oh, and as for the future, yes, its great to have new people joining the hobby. I think and hope sites like this have a role to play, as do all the fine Youtubers, and of course games and film related kits.

Seems like the future is bright :-)

_GOTOTOP