Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Cool bicycle
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:34 AM UTC
Me wants one ...

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 09:32 AM UTC
What the? Interesting. What is the driving mechanism?

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 11:49 AM UTC
Too cool to ride. Or do you fly it?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 11:51 AM UTC
Gears. Toothed ring carrying the pedals and then one or more gears (uneven number) to carry the rotation over to the rear wheel. It looks as if the rear wheel has some shine objects on the centerline. Two tyres side by side with a toothed ring sandwiched between them???
I wonder how well it stands up to dirt getting in the gears ....
/ Robin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 12:26 AM UTC
Way cool have you seen the motorcycle like this?
Some dude in Brazil built one, low rider at that.
No spokes,and a crap bunch of power.

Think you are right Robin ,no off roading on that bike.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 01:01 AM UTC
Can't remember seeing that motorbike.
Link to images or something?
/ Roin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

/ Roin

I am looking for it,actually I think Bravo posted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciBR4Dwu9Qg

Just have to watch that butt area,and a good chick picker upper, if one can find out where to put one.

Enjoy
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:01 AM UTC
Single fixed gear, no brake lever so likely direct drive with no neutral cruising and back pedalling brakes..... I'll keep my old daily ride Focus for my trips to work and back. 60km's per day up, and down hills, on that one would kill me Robin.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Roin

I am looking for it,actually I think Bravo posted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciBR4Dwu9Qg

Just have to watch that butt area,and a good chick picker upper, if one can find out where to put one.

Enjoy

Ooohhhh! That's one cool bike!
Totally impractical of course but that is not the purpose either
Thanks for the link!
/ Robin
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Single fixed gear, no brake lever so likely direct drive with no neutral cruising and back pedalling brakes..... I'll keep my old daily ride Focus for my trips to work and back. 60km's per day up, and down hills, on that one would kill me Robin.

I think you are right about the conclusion of that analysis.
2 x 30 kms each day requires a good saddle ....

There might still be brakes on it though. Look at the first image, there are dark sections on the front of the handles.
They do not seem to be firmly connected to the rest of the handlebar, gaps visible all around, so they could possible be brake handles. The brakes themselves could be incorporated the things that grip the rims.

I do think that bike looks a lot better than a Focus though but looks isn't everything ...

/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 12:53 PM UTC
I don't know if I posted the above link or not, but probably did, as I build custom bikes myself. As an Indian owner, I like this one:

Hubless motorcycles have been around for years but the first ones had issues with bearings. There is indeed a hub - it's what looks like the wheel. Another hidden wheel with tire rotates around it, and therein lies the problem: The bearings are rotating a lot faster than on a traditional hub and have a tendency to burn up. The problem nay have been solved with ceramic bearings - I don't know. But cool stuff indeed.

The first hubless bike I ever saw was driven with a hidden rubber wheel rotating against the rear tire. Pretty cool in its day, but relatively slow as well.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There might still be brakes on it though. Look at the first image, there are dark sections on the front of the handles.
They do not seem to be firmly connected to the rest of the handlebar, gaps visible all around, so they could possible be brake handles. The brakes themselves could be incorporated the things that grip the rims.

/ Robin

No where for the cable to run to the rear. Internally the diagonal at the neck would bend it. If electronic, it would need a battery... Just thinking
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

No where for the cable to run to the rear. Internally the diagonal at the neck would bend it. If electronic, it would need a battery... Just thinking

Maybe this type:
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/worlds-first-wireless-electronic-bicycle-brake-32064/
"There's no brake lever; instead, the rider squeezes the right-hand handlebar grip and a pressure sensor underneath the rubber converts this into a digital, wireless signal. A unit on the fork receives the signal and an actuator works the disc brake. The harder the grip is squeezed, the more firmly the brake is applied."

There are also electric gear shifters for bicycles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_gear-shifting_system
/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Never underestimate the ability of a builder to hide things. Cables are very easy to hide anyway, and you'd be surprised how much they can be bent. They can also be stripped in the middle and small pulleys can be used to make them go around more than 90 degree bends.
in 2015, Tour de France riders may have cheated using hidden electric motors. If you can hide an electric motor you can hide damned near anything. I routinely hide batteries on cafe motorcycles, and even though the newest generation are very small, they're larger than an electric motor.
I've been fiddling on bikes (motorcycles) since the early 80's, but on my very first ground up I hid all the wiring the rear brake line, and would have hidden the front brake line in the forks had the guy I commissioned to build the forks not @#*!! them up. There was in internal metal line for the fluid which he did not weld properly, and it kept leaking into the fork tube so that I never had good pressure. Battery is not hidden in the truest sense - it's in the ammo can, but all of the electrics are in the can as well.

Hidden battery on this carbon fiber/titanium bike, which started out just like the one behind it. I'm not finished yet, but the point is, you can definitely hide things in a bicycle if you can hide them on a motorcycle.

And of course this carries over nicely into model building...

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 06:29 AM UTC
Great examples, 18Bravo

Quoted Text

CALLSIGN: RobinNilsson

Gears. Toothed ring carrying the pedals and then one or more gears (uneven number) to carry the rotation over to the rear wheel. It looks as if the rear wheel has some shine objects on the centerline. Two tyres side by side with a toothed ring sandwiched between them???
I wonder how well it stands up to dirt getting in the gears ....
/ Robin

oh yeah, good eye. I missed that entirely at first sight. This thread really evolved in great direction!