_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
best tool to bend PE parts
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi. I am working on the Meng Jagdpanter PE pieces and struggling with folding the PE pieces X15 to X18. They are the long pieces of PE along the sides to form the fenders. I have the PR Folding Tool 4-inch from Small Shop but it does not the piece firmly, the PE part keeps moving when i slide the razor blade underneath to fold it up.
No matter how hard to turn the knob to secure it down. Any other suggestions, other tools or better way to bend it ? Thanks in advance.

Thanh
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:41 AM UTC
If you haven't already done so, try disassembling the Hold 'n Fold brake and cleaning the surface of the platform and the bottom of the brake. Sometimes you'll get k-wap stuck underneath that will keep the brake from closing tight.

As you have the brake apart, sight down along the edge of the clamping part to make sure it isn't bent or warped. If you've been cranking down on parts, especially ones that are off-center, the force of the clamping can bend the brake so that it doesn't close evenly or tightly.

If the tool seems alright, then try supplementing the clamp with a straight, steel ruler (a 6" machinists rule works good) under the braking edge to help clamp down the PE part.

Finally, check the edge of your bending lever / single-edge razor blade. A bur or a particularly dull edge can keep the lever from slipping under the edge of the PE part.

You might also find that you need to make the bend incrementally, making part of the angle down the entire length of the PE part and then bending again to increase the angle until its complete.

HTH
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 11:11 AM UTC
Place the piece in the bender. Before tightening it down, place the razor blade, under the piece where it is to be folded. Tighten and bend.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 9,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 11:28 AM UTC
Before putting the etched piece into the bending brake put a strip of a good quality paint masking tape (Tamiya??) on it. This will guarantee a good grip between the etch and the foot of the bender.

The good quality tape should guarantee you can carefully peal it off later without too much risk of bending the etch.
Scrodes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 771 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 03:04 PM UTC
I thoroughly enjoy my Etchmate even though there have been some negative reviews lately - weird considering how long it has been around.

I was considering picking up the RB bending tool - the name escapes me - as it seemed more versatile, but a friend picked one up and really didn't like it.
 _GOTOTOP