Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Swedes
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 02:21 PM UTC
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 03:16 PM UTC
Yeah but it's the home of two of the most boring car manufactures in existence. Well one now.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 11:14 PM UTC
Snus is NOT chewing tobacco.
We have chewing tobacco too, it's called 'tuggtobak'. Tugg from tugga which means 'too chew'.

Snus is a wet/moist fine ground tobacco powder, in various granularities, strengths and nowadays also in a variety of flavours. If snus has gone dry it is practically useless. A guy in my class at university was "stranded" in the Swedish arctic region for a few months. He was the caretaker/host for a cabin on a walking trail in the mountains. He spilled his snus by accident and the snus in the storage in the cabin was from the previous year and had gone dry. He recovered most of his snus from the floor, when that was all used up he tried to moisturize the old stuff with some whisky. Not the perefect solution but it worked until the cabin was restocked three weeks later.
There is a myth that snus also contains fine ground glass splinters to make microscopic penetrations of the mucous membrane in the mouth to allow the tobacco juices (and nicotine) to enter the bloodstream. There is however small amounts of fine sand in snus, the sand comes from the tobacco plants.
There is two main types of snus:
loose powder (wet mush really) and
prepackaged in little bags (some people call these little bags "squirrel diapers" ...)

Coffee: My brother participated in a training at the company headquarters in Huntsville, Alabama, and he and the other Swedes had their own coffee pot which they marked Swedish Coffee as a warning to everyone else that this was the 'real stuff'. In northern Sweden they still drink coffee made by boiling the coffee powder directly in the pot. Drink slowly without stirring it around to let the grains settle on the bottom of the pot or cup.

The Swedish caviar: It is salty so if you have ever eaten egg slices with salt, or any egg with salt you will know exactly why we eat eggs with caviar. One of the dishes on a Swedish smörgåsbord is halved eggs with the yellow replaced with one of the more expensive caviars. Fish eggs come in many different sizes, from cod it is just small grains, some other fish species have eggs the size of buck-shot. They sort of explode when you bite into them. Delicious

The Boss. That is true, absolutely.
Another great american artist, Frank Zappa, was amazed at the Swedish reception of the song 'Bobby Brown', Swedes loved it. Those who actually understood the text loved it even more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb7zH-UoJYk
That youtube-clip is actually published by a Swede and someone commented that it gets played a lot on Norwegian radio as well.

Cars: Yeah. Not very exciting and the SAAB is now as dead as the dodo. We try to make them fuel efficient and safe though
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah but it's the home of two of the most boring car manufactures in existence. Well one now.

and this one: https://www.koenigsegg.com/
they build cars which leaves Dodge Vipers eating dust
https://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigsegg-agera-rs-achieves-multiple-production-car-world-speed-records/

But Koenigsegg cars are extreme so the statement
about Volvo and SAAB still stands.
Unless you remember the SAAB Turbo?
My brother used to have a Volvo S80 with the T6 engine with some tweaks to the computer. Somewhere above 275 hp, over 250 km/h (155 mph), 0 to 62 in less than 10 seconds.
More or less a standard production car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLTTEFjLMnM

And if you really want to have fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ni2gPo5Us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFwce5Okqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGzQgja7W0

When we go racing it is rallye, preferably in the
winter when it is dark and lots of snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo-FFIZfI5g
/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 01:06 AM UTC
Oh, yeah, Koenigsegg. Alright so 2 auto manufactures but still 50% boring isn't something to be proud of.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, yeah, Koenigsegg. Alright so 2 auto manufactures but still 50% boring isn't something to be proud of.

Counting the number of cars produced, or even the number of different models would make the percentage even less flattering.
Who could compete with a Chevy or Ford anyway

Some local yokels in my home county:

but there are others as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=raggarbilar&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvp5_Z75ffAhWLDSwKHcpxAa8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1365&bih=822#imgdii=JmfOVl7ZXF_rtM:&imgrc=K-IyqKo-zkB8NM:

Some of those cars have been in the same family for three generations handed down from grandparents to children and grandchildren ...

/ Robin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:12 AM UTC
Good replies Robin , nice to see a culture that is still a real culture.

As ours diversifies too much for my taste, and will leave that alone.

I would fit right in with my black Nocona boots, black

Levi's,black western shirt, black belt, and my black leather

jacket, and of cause dark sunglasses.

And my Swedish rifle. The Schmidt-Rubin -K-31, that will kick your butt if not use to it.

Cheers

Jeff
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Counting the number of cars produced, or even the number of different models would make the percentage even less flattering.
Who could compete with a Chevy or Ford anyway

Some local yokels in my home county:

but there are others as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=raggarbilar&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvp5_Z75ffAhWLDSwKHcpxAa8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1365&bih=822#imgdii=JmfOVl7ZXF_rtM:&imgrc=K-IyqKo-zkB8NM:

Some of those cars have been in the same family for three generations handed down from grandparents to children and grandchildren ...

/ Robin

GM shutting down 5 plants what they say.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 05:28 AM UTC
I had a 52 ford coupe in my drive for years. Some times it would run but I had to set off a bug bomb in it to kill the yellow jacket nests and all the spiders before I could clean it up enough to start it. Someone bought it for the working Flathead V8 and parted out the body.
Chillidragon
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 07:49 AM UTC
I can't believe no-one's mentioned Surstromming... Yum yum.

(As in "Hey; you like Surstromming?"
I don't know; I've never surstrommed.")
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't believe no-one's mentioned Surstromming... Yum yum.

(As in "Hey; you like Surstromming?"
I don't know; I've never surstrommed.")

Surströmming. The subculture of fermented fish ....
I have never eaten it since I have never been able to get close enough. The smell stops me at 5 to 6 yards distance ....

Dogs love rolling themselves in the liquid emptied from the cans, I think they want to mask their own smell, same as when they roll themselves in poop from other animals ....

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 12:14 AM UTC
Glad all liked the subject.

Maybe this one also.

Have to hand it to the older generations, shot rifles that would knock ones fillings out and bust a shoulder, now have buffers and deals to stop recoil, none of that back in the day.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums/viewtopic.php?t=44167
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 12:21 AM UTC
Awesome rifles those Swedish built Mausers.
My father used one during his time as a conscript just before and during WW II.
When the Swedish military forces modernised and got the AK 4 rifles there were huge stockpiles of Mausers to recycle somehow.
I think that I heard somewhere that some Canadian company bought 100000 of them.

I shot a few rounds with one of those Mausers when I was 11 or 12. Wasn't too bad when laying on the ground, as long as you pushed the stock firmly against your shoulder when firing.
Don't give it space to move because then it will kick you hard.
My dad had a friend who could hold one in each hand, gripped by the barrel ends, arms straight out, and then they laid another one across the stocks. He had some wrist muscles ....
That guy was the friendly quiet type, he was a few years older than the rest when doing his conscript training (due to being in the US for a few years before the depression).
The officers were sort of curious about why he was older so the other jokers in the platoon told them that the quiet guy had been in prison a few years for manslaughter, had killed a guy by accidentally breaking his neck with a single slap to the side of the head during some controversy at a Folkets Park.
After a while the quiet guy asked the others if they knew why the officers tip-toed around him and were so friendly and careful ....

Folkets park (the peoples park) were smallish, mostly outdoors, dancing and feast establishments. Built and maintained by the local community. Woe to the fellow who danced with the girls at a Folkets park in someone elses home territory.
Liquor, temper, young males with hormones, fists hardened by farm work ....
/ Robin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome rifles those Swedish built Mausers.
My father used one during his time as a conscript just before and during WW II.
When the Swedish military forces modernised and got the AK 4 rifles there were huge stockpiles of Mausers to recycle somehow.
I think that I heard somewhere that some Canadian company bought 100000 of them.

I shot a few rounds with one of those Mausers when I was 11 or 12. Wasn't too bad when laying on the ground, as long as you pushed the stock firmly against your shoulder when firing.
Don't give it space to move because then it will kick you hard.
My dad had a friend who could hold one in each hand, gripped by the barrel ends, arms straight out, and then they laid another one across the stocks. He had some wrist muscles ....
That guy was the friendly quiet type, he was a few years older than the rest when doing his conscript training (due to being in the US for a few years before the depression).
The officers were sort of curious about why he was older so the other jokers in the platoon told them that the quiet guy had been in prison a few years for manslaughter, had killed a guy by accidentally breaking his neck with a single slap to the side of the head during some controversy at a Folkets Park.
After a while the quiet guy asked the others if they knew why the officers tip-toed around him and were so friendly and careful ....

Folkets park (the peoples park) were smallish, mostly outdoors, dancing and feast establishments. Built and maintained by the local community. Woe to the fellow who danced with the girls at a Folkets park in someone elses home territory.
Liquor, temper, young males with hormones, fists hardened by farm work ....
/ Robin

100% percent on the money,a lot of " Old Timers" were pretty robust folks.
We had a Samoan guy, that some tried to make fun of, as could not speak proper, until we were moving out, they asked him to help load the smaller grease drums about 120 to 130 lbs each, what does he do bends over and grabs one on each shoulder stands and walks away puts them in the trailer, nobody said squat about the way he talked ever again.

Cheers
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:28 AM UTC
We had a similar type in one of the mortar (120 mm) platoons.
The 120 mm barrel weighs 80 kg (176 pounds) and they were swapping it out for the 60 mm exercise barrel (cheaper rounds).
Two or three guys lift out the heavy barrel and ask the big guy to hold it (just for fun). He holds out his forearms and they put the barrel over them. Lock the light barrel in place and do some other tasks. After maybe 10 minutes they check and he is still standing there, doesn't say a word.
So they tell him to not just stand there but put the barrel on the truck bed instead (bed is about 4'5" above ground).
He walks over to the truck, flicks his forearms to deliver the barrel to the load bed and walks back, without a word.
He didn't say much at all. I talked to him once and mentioned that the others were a little scared of him since he was big and strong and only answered with single syllable words.
He was quite talkative but had made it his "gimmick" to be silent, it kept the others at a distance and gave him some peace and quiet He could talk more with me since I wasn't in his platoon and would not give his game away.
Strong as an ox, worked with his father driving heavy wreckers/recovery trucks.
/ Robin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The 120 mm barrel weighs 80 kg (176 pounds) and they were swapping it out for the 60 mm exercise barrel (cheaper rounds).
Two or three guys lift out the heavy barrel and ask the big guy to hold it (just for fun). He holds out his forearms and they put the barrel over them. Lock the light barrel in place and do some other tasks. After maybe 10 minutes they check and he is still standing there, doesn't say a word.
So they tell him to not just stand there but put the barrel on the truck bed instead (bed is about 4'5" above ground).
He walks over to the truck, flicks his forearms to deliver the barrel to the load bed and walks back, without a word.
He didn't say much at all. I talked to him once and mentioned that the others were a little scared of him since he was big and strong and only answered with single syllable words.
He was quite talkative but had made it his "gimmick" to be silent, it kept the others at a distance and gave him some peace and quiet He could talk more with me since I wasn't in his platoon and would not give his game away.
/ Robin

Heck we have kids here playing Football one is 6'5" and weighs 305 the other is 6' 4" and weighs 304 both play tackle , dang those are some big 18 year olds. Go OU, hope they beat Bama.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Heck we have kids here playing Football one is 6'5" and weighs 305 the other is 6' 4" and weighs 304 both play tackle , dang those are some big 18 year olds. Go OU, hope they beat Bama.

Makes me feel small with my measly 6'4" and 253 lbs
Need to start lifting some scrap metal again ....
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 06:36 AM UTC
Going camping, Swedish style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMorKDsVJ0
/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Going camping, Swedish style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMorKDsVJ0
/ Robin

I was waiting for May, Hammond, Clarkson and the Stig to get out of the cars.