_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Why to do, With Spare Parts?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:20 AM UTC
I'm trying to downsize my spare parts stash. I have ten years of spare parts built up, which take up a LOT of room(six shelves worth). Realizing I will never use them, I am looking to off load them. There is too much bulk to give them away. What should I do?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

There is a man in Quebec who gathers spares so that people who need something may find what they want. I've sent a few boxes his way. But if, as you say, too much bulk will cost too much, then that may not be interesting to you. I'll find his website anyway for people who do not already know about him.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:35 AM UTC
[email protected]

http://www.ipmscanada.com/partyard.html
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 05:03 AM UTC
Do you have a local hobby shop that will take them? My local shop takes in parts, and offers modelers the opportunity to rummage through them for parts they need. It's a good service, and keeps everybody happy. I had three very large plastic bins worth (2x3x2 ft. bins) that were just taking up space a few years ago, so I took them in to my LHS. I kept a couple of small shoe boxe sized bins of figure parts and various "do-dads" of engines, weapons and detail parts, which I sorted into one of those stacked organizer type boxes with small drawers-- everything else went to the LHS. There is also an internet group called "Beyond the Sprues" which builds "what-ifs" and one-offs-- perhaps someone in that group might take them off your hands for postage. Here's the link:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php

VR, Russ
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have a local hobby shop that will take them? My local shop takes in parts, and offers modelers the opportunity to rummage through them for parts they need. It's a good service, and keeps everybody happy. I had three very large plastic bins worth (2x3x2 ft. bins) that were just taking up space a few years ago, so I took them in to my LHS. I kept a couple of small shoe boxe sized bins of figure parts and various "do-dads" of engines, weapons and detail parts, which I sorted into one of those stacked organizer type boxes with small drawers-- everything else went to the LHS. There is also an internet group called "Beyond the Sprues" which builds "what-ifs" and one-offs-- perhaps someone in that group might take them off your hands for postage. Here's the link:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php

VR, Russ

The closest thing I have to a hobby store is Hobby Lobby or two hours away, in Tulsa, OK. I'll check out BeyondtheSprues.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 07:33 AM UTC
Sadly, I wrote Jean-Marc and his email is OTS. He won a bunch of awards at IMPS Toronto in 2017, so I hope he is still around.
Trackedon
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:09 AM UTC
I only keep Jerry cans and figures ect.
 _GOTOTOP